what are good processors

Solution
Generally speaking, I recommend Intel since Intel CPUs are much more powerful at the same clockspeed compared to what AMD has to offer. A current generation Haswell CPU clocked at 2.0GHz is probably equivalent to a Trinity / Richland APU running at 2.7GHz / 2.8GHz. Therefore, based on CPU processing power, an Intel Haswell laptop should last you longer before you feel the need to upgrade.

On the flip side, AMD APUs generally have the more powerful integrated graphics core (iGPU) depending on exactly which APU model you are looking at. The best AMD iGPU is the Radeon HD 8670m and the most powerful Intel iGPU is the HD 4600. According to Notebookcheck.com, they rank the Radeon HD 8670m to be just ahead of the nVidia GT 550m; ranked in...

confusedeasily

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
I would like to use the laptop for emailing, using it for work, researching, looking up information, playing some games, that sort of thing.

Generally speaking, I recommend Intel since Intel CPUs are much more powerful at the same clockspeed compared to what AMD has to offer. A current generation Haswell CPU clocked at 2.0GHz is probably equivalent to a Trinity / Richland APU running at 2.7GHz / 2.8GHz. Therefore, based on CPU processing power, an Intel Haswell laptop should last you longer before you feel the need to upgrade.

On the flip side, AMD APUs generally have the more powerful integrated graphics core (iGPU) depending on exactly which APU model you are looking at. The best AMD iGPU is the Radeon HD 8670m and the most powerful Intel iGPU is the HD 4600. According to Notebookcheck.com, they rank the Radeon HD 8670m to be just ahead of the nVidia GT 550m; ranked in the upper Class 3 of graphics chip performance. However, that is based only on specs and not actual benchmarks so it's position can change after they run games with it. My Lenovo Y470 has the GT 550m and I will have to say it is a pretty good mainstream gaming chip in a laptop, but now it is considered somewhat weak.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8670M.87211.0.html

The Intel HD 4600 is ranked in the middle of the pack of the Class 3 graphic chips, just below the nVidia GT 540m... and it has been benchmarked with games so it's actual rank is definitive as opposed to the Radeon HD 8670m.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600.86106.0.html

If overall usage and longevity is important to you, then Intel Haswell. If gaming performance is at the top of your list, then you want AMD's Richland APU.

Solution