What are the disadvantages, if virtual machines run on a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2018
Hi,

Currently I work on 4-5 virtual machines on VMware Workstation Software in my Desktop Computer. And mostly I work on Windows Server virtual machine. Later on I’ll work on VMware vSphere.

Now I am planning to do same work on a laptop.

Please guide me which type of laptop is recommended for same work? And
What are the disadvantages, if I do same work on a laptop?

Regards
Techie Guy

If the laptop has the same CPU and RAM speed as the desktop it will run the exact same way.

Any modern system made for higher end use with 16-32GB of RAM will be fine. Say a lower spec gaming system (since you don't need to spend money on the video card) or a workstation laptop like Lenovo P models.

Laptop is not really upgradable vs a desktop (aside from maybe RAM to max allowed and hard drive) and also will be a bit less reliable due to heat issues and the simple fact of moving it around has a risk of damage.

Oct 30, 2018
I understood.

I believe working on more virtual machines and vSphere is related to more computational work.

What issue I can face, if I do same work in a laptop?

If I buy a laptop with i5 8Gen+2/4GB AMD Graphics+16/32GB RAM+1/2 TB HD for same work, what can I expect in terms of performance and durability of laptop components?

As you said, you don't need to spend money on the video card. Is importance of GPU and Graphics Card/Video Card primarily for playing games not for computational work?

If possible, please elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.