What camera should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Hello everybody I need help buying a camera. I want to buy a camera for vlogging and I want a camera with a tilted screen so that I can see myself in the shot. I want a camera with good low light performance, records 1080p 60fps, and that costs $300 and under. I already looked at the sony wx500, hx90v, and the nikon s9900. They are not good cameras from what I hear when it comes to low light and image quality. Is there a better camera than the wx500, hx90v, or the s9900? BTW I am on a budget.

1) No bumping, it makes people want to ignore you
2) Since you only care about video, consider something like the Canon HF R600, it should fit your needs.

As basroil mentioned if all you are interested in is video then the Canon HF R600 is an excellent choice. Looking at the specs it will do everything you need and is priced around $200 (normally $300 with an instant savings of $100) at B&H Photo.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I want a camera not a camcorder. I like to take pictures and video. I am looking for a camera with a tiltable screen, 1080p 60p, great low light performance, self-shooting mode, and articulated LCD under $400. Is 1080p 60p better than 1080p 60i?

Rudi Maes

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015

The Panasonic FZ200 is a good still camera for video. It has a fast zoomlens wich helps in low light.
In this pricerange you won't find better, unless you go second hand perhaps.
Rudi

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I found a camera online called the Nikon P610, Is the Nikon P610 a good camera? Like I said before, I want a camera to take pictures and record video. So I am looking for a camera with a tiltable screen or articulated LCD, 1080p 60p, great low light performance, and self-shooting mode for under $400. I have a question, Is 1080p 60p better than 1080p 60i ? I also really want a good camera for vlogging. I need help finding more cameras that suits my needs. Maybe the Nikon P610 is not a good camera.

It's clear that you know nothing about video or photo, which means there's no such thing as a "good camera" for you. Here's where you are wrong in your needs:
1) You don't need 60Hz video, but you do need progressive video (p)
2) You don't need low light performance, you need better lights
3) No such thing as "self shooting mode". If you mean automatic mode, all cameras and camcorders have it.
4) You will be best off with a camcorder like the HF R600 I recommended.

Rudi Maes

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015

The Panasonic FZ200 has also an articulated screen for selfshooting and the fast lens is better, than the one on the P610 (wich is not a bad superzoom for daily use). Panasonic is known as having good video on still camera's.
1080p is better than 1080i.
Here you find an explanation:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413044,00.asp
The Panasonic FZ300 is even better(it also does 4K video), but is over $500.
Rudi

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Thanks, now I know that 1080p is better than 1080i. I found a lot of cameras online, like the Panasonic FZ200, Nikon P610, WX500, HX90V, and the S9900. Are these cameras any good? Like I said before, I want a good camera to take pictures and record video. So I am looking for a camera with a tiltable screen or articulated LCD, 1080p 60p, great low light performance, and self-shooting mode for under $400. I really want a good camera for vlogging. I need help finding more cameras that suits my needs. Maybe the cameras I found are not good enough.

This is what you should do:
1) Buy a camcorder for video, something like the HF R600 I mentioned (on sale now to boot)
2) Buy a separate point and shoot for photo, something like the elph series from canon

It'll be the same price and you don't have worry about getting something that's a jumbled mess and hard to work with.

passion4tech

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Ok I read that the HF R600 is a good camcorder. What elph series canon is the best?

Rudi Maes

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015

Really, as a camera under $400, with the features you ask, you won't find better new camera, than the Panasonic FZ200. It has the best and fastest lens in this pricerange.
If you could raise your budget, by $150. The Panasonic FZ300, is the successor of the FZ200, can shoot for 4K video and has a very fast and accurate, autofocus system and several extra helpfull features.
Rudi

Rudi Maes

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015

To have less noise, you need a camera with a larger sensor. How larger, how less noise, the higher the cost.
All camera's under $400, with an articulated screen, use a small sensor.
The F200 will also have noise, but it's fast lens let more light to the sensor than all the other camera's you mentioned. So in the same light circumstances the FZ200 will have a little less noise.
For vlogging you'll need some light anyway, so i don't think noise should be a big problem.
Rudi

Something like Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX220 or Canon Powershot ELPH 350 HS should do well enough.

Trust me when I say that you don't understand enough about cameras to know what "good low light performance" really is. If it's dark enough that the two above cameras don't give you something useful for web or small print (A4 or smaller), then it's too dark for even an SLR to give you decent photo in automatic mode using the kit lens.

Noise in photographs is easy to solve by increasing luminance, or whatever technique you use. In video however, you need to use a denoiser such as a good one in HitFilm or I believe there are plugins for the common After Effects and Sony Vegas. If you're taking videos in the dark, you're doing it wrong. Photos work, and then make it look like it was shot in the dark. You'd be surprised to see how much you have to spend to get good low light performance in video. I guess the Canon (I use Canon which is why I say this) 50mm lens which is a f1.8, though definitely not sharp when it's that open. None the less, you can literally remake everything in a photo, where as in video it's way harder and time consuming. Replace a sky in Photoshop can be done in less than 5 minutes. Shooting video in the dark and it's probably ruined depending on how well the program you use removes noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.