What Camera?

G

Okay, as X-mas is coming up pretty quickly I am going to start my list. I just bought a $400.00 photo printer and need a nice digi camera. I have always been fond of Kodak, but I'm not sure about digital cameras. I'm not sure if I should just get a digi video recorder - so I can film my neice's soccer games and I would like to take that and be able to take pictures and record things. I don't really want it to be more than $300-$350. So, what would you guys recommend?
Thanks in Advance,
Kristy

<Common Sense is a gift that some of us have returned.>

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I'd shoot for the video recorder. I've seen several that give the option of using it for still photo's without using software to draw them out of the video. (seperate button for still photo's) That way you kinda get a 2 for 1 and don't have to worry about asking for the video camera next Christmas. :)

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

G

That's what I want, but I'm not sure on what brand to buy. I don't know that much about them and I'm not sure what to look for.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
If your just buying a digital camera and not the video, you want to look for a high pixel megapixel)count. 4 megapixels and higher gives you a near 35mm quality and you can print out larger copies and still have a decent looking picture. 3 megapixels is pretty good for a fair looking 8x10. I really wouldn't go below a 3 meg or high 2 meg camera. You also want to make sure it has a zoom. I made the mistake of getting a camera without a zoom on my first camera. Never could get a good picture because you have to back up to take a pic of something big and it never looked right. A friend of mine has a JVC video camera. It gives around 5 or 6 still image choices like a full screen shot or a negative, etc. There's alot to choose from. The fairly good ones go for around $500 to $600.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

G

Thanks for all your help, I'll be sure to look and see who's recommending what.

Thanks Again,
Kristy

G

I had a MINOLTA dimage 2330 , got it from UBID for less than 400 $ , overall its a good choice if you dont mind the lousy battery cover , its flimsy and hard to close , go for the CANON or NIKON or SONY brands and if your budget allows you get one with an HOTshoe to mount additional flash units , the CANON POWERSHOT G1 its an older type with 3megs , I am using it now , its very good .

G

Kristy,

Your question is pretty broad. The first thing you really need to decide is what you will use it for. Although it seems obvious, still cameras are better for pictures and video cameras are better for video. If you really want to take pictures that you want to print out and have them look like 35mm photos, don't get a video camera. Even though some video cameras allow you to take still pictures, I haven't seen an affordable one that has a high enough resolution (# of pixels, usually numbered in the millions, or megapixels) to take print-quality pictures. So again, if you primarily want pictures, get a still shot camera (2 megapixel or more).

If you want a good digital video camera, it will cost you more than a good still camera, but they take great video. I have a Sony and the video quality is ten times better than newer analog video cameras.

Given your budget and the fact that you just got a good printer, you could get a good still camera and you would never look back. Then you can save up for a video camera in the near future.

btw, I have used a couple Kodak digital cameras and have been pleased with them. Check out online reviews for more detailed comparisons.

I hope this helps!

Save the children :smile: