What could cause all of this to happen at the same time?

Jun 15, 2018
I will try to make this long story short, here's the background to my inquiry:

I paused an Amazon video (usually I would exit) and closed the lid to the laptop. I'd normally put it to sleep beforehand, but I can't recall if it was done this day. I came home and opened the lid to find the screen on, but blacked out and unresponsive. I waited to see if the problem would resolve on its own.

When it didn't I tried the following: Unplugging devices in all USB ports, Rearranging devices to other ports, Unplugging the computer. I believe this happened before, and I had the idea to try lighting tapping the power button, but I never got that chance, as my battery ended up dying. (I doubt it has any relevance to the problem, but the battery needs to be replaced.)

I did not reboot in safe mode. After facing the loss of unsaved information, I tried to connect to my wireless connection as usual. To make a longer story short, I realized there was no wireless connection showing with the others on my computer (LAC, phone tether, virtual machine), and it had disappeared everywhere else. It seemed my computer was no longer recognizing my adapter.

I tried device manager (obviously I couldn't update any drivers), System Restore, etc, but the section within the Control Panel for managing wireless still stated "Wireless is Currently Not Enabled" Naturally, I assumed my adapter had malfunctioned, come loose or some other hardware problem. That was until I relented on connecting for that night, and decided to watch videos from my external drive.

It turned out my computer suddenly stopped recognizing my external devices. Anything I plug into a USB port is ignored. Couple this with the loss of Internet connectivity, and it makes it impossible to add or retrieve information through my computer. I also cannot open Google Chrome. Firefox does open. *(My CD/DVD drive (built-in) is the only thing recognized in the "Computer" panel. I popped in a DVD to test it, and it started automatically.)

Win 7, 32-bit
AMD Sempron SI-42 2.1 GHz
I have no information on the adapter itself as it has virtually vanished.
Toshiba Satellite Model L305D-S5974

Solution
So system was turned on from a cold boot correct? If yes, and you have no access to USB ports and your network ports are also down, seems like a motherboard issue. You can try to reset the system, unplug battery and wall power, open it up, remove the CMOS battery if system has one. Hold in power button for about 30 seconds. Plug in wall power only with CMOS battery out, turn it on. See if things are working then. If yes, put CMOS battery back in and turn it on normally see if it works.
So system was turned on from a cold boot correct? If yes, and you have no access to USB ports and your network ports are also down, seems like a motherboard issue. You can try to reset the system, unplug battery and wall power, open it up, remove the CMOS battery if system has one. Hold in power button for about 30 seconds. Plug in wall power only with CMOS battery out, turn it on. See if things are working then. If yes, put CMOS battery back in and turn it on normally see if it works.

Solution