What Do You Think of Microsoft's Laptop Hunters Ads?

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
All I know is that it's good to see Microsoft finally playing the sound-bite friendly marketing game, and "Lauren" the "law-student-to-be" is cute. This rumored $300M campaign will also keep OEMs on Microsoft's side I bet.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Their ads aren't full of misinformation like Apple's, which is good, but they don't really play much into the hands of the OS, really more about hardware. They should be talking (IMO) about capability, features, etc. that you only get on PCs running windows.

G

more importantly,how can we get in 1?i wouldn't mind running around a few places for a free laptop.ur right,they should tell more about the operating system,but that wouldn't exactly help them :lol:

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

I'd like to see that too... but then again, MS has to appeal to a wider market. That always means summarizing/dumbing down things into easy-to-follow soundbites.
more importantly,how can we get in 1?i wouldn't mind running around a few places for a free laptop.ur right,they should tell more about the operating system,but that wouldn't exactly help them :lol:
I want in too! I guess you have to be a professional actor or something :p

feenyxfire

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
As far as "Lauren" being an actress... Actresses need computers, too. And it could be unscripted in terms of explicit lines and still also be 'staged'.
I just think it's funny that Apple is all in a twist about Microsoft and its advertising with 'facts' and all, instead of Apple's habit of making arguments with hyperbole and coolness factor.

^I don't recall anyone saying she was an actor. Maybe she was, but then again so is the guy who does the Mac adds (he was in the movies "Accepted" and "Waiting").

As far as the Windows is for business argument, I actually think that's wrong. Yes it's true that most businesses and school computer labs use windows based machines, but think about it. Macs tend to be faster at professional Photo and Video editing software and hardly any games are compatible.

FYI: Apple called MS demanding that the "laptop hunter" ads be pulled: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10288022-37.html