What do you think would be the best sound system for a Desktop?

Graybush

Estimable
Hey folks,

So I'm going to be in the market for a new sound system either by the end of this year or by the beginning of next year. I'd like to see what you guys come up with, especially since I'm not a really picky person tech-wise. I mean I'm using a hand-me-down speaker already, what else can I say?I'd like to hear what the community says.

Personally, I'm looking at speakers that are less than 200. I'd probably go with a 5.1 set due to size constraints as I live in an apartment. I generally use my desktop for games and movies.

Though, I'd like to see what you guys come up with if you could pick whatever you wanted, budget and size not withstanding.

Edit: Relevant info and formatting.

With no specefications this is as vauge as asking what car should I get without even knowing how many people I need it to fit, how far I drive or what I need the vehicle to do.

What will you be playing on the sound system: games, movies, music (what type of music)?
Do you want 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 speakers?
What is your budget?

Graybush

Estimable

Sorry boosted1! I posted just a little too quickly there. I guess I was excited to see what people said! I added the info you asked for in the OP.

ust4ever

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
It HAS TO BE one of these:

Logitech Z906 [5.1]
Corsair SP2500 [2.1]

I had a pair of SP2500s before upgrading earlier this year and they're frickin' amazing, some of the best PC speakers around. Tight bass, clear mids and sparkly highs. The only drawback for you is that they're 2.1. Unfortunately Corsair discontinued this series a year or so back, but if you can track a pair down on eBay you'll fall in love, trust me!

Alternatively the Logitech Z906 offer an equally fantastic package. Only drawback being that they're around $100 over budget. If you can afford em, they'd be an equally great choice.

The big difference is that the Corsairs are superior for Music, being stereo with a separate sub, and the Logitechs being the better choice for Film and Game (they have DTS and Dolby encoded format support, as well as THX certification).

If neither of these are suitable, let me know and I'll dig for something more appropriate.

- Adam

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
I hate logitech, for false advertising, z906 says it has 500W RMS and in reality has 100W RMS, if you havea budget i advice you an av receiver adn a pair of speakers on 2 or 3 way, you got great power and great sound clarity. My sony av receiver of 2x90W RMS which supports 5.1 with dolby and dts costed around 150$ and i amde myself a pair of speakers of 2x150 RMS with one mid and low speaker and one high (tweeter) with a hv 228 filter, they sound divine, it costed me 100$ more, so in total 250$. In a 22 square meters room you cannot withstand at 90% volume, they are incredibly powerfull and clear. If you use a 12" low-mid speaker you can use them without a subwoofer but i used a 8" low-mid speaker because i already have an active 150W RMS subwoofer.

sniper360

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
DO you like to walk around while listening to music or movies?
If your stationary, I personally love surround sound headphones if your desktop motherboard has that capability without using a soundcard.

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012

5.1 four speakers with a good subwoofer

kong911

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I've used Logitech Z5500 for a few years and found them to be a little boomy for my taste. But they're great for games. However when I have the little daughter starts to run around the room; I've decided to downgrade to Audioengine A5+ and added a 10" sub. Had them for 5 years and never look back. So depending on whether music or game is your priority and go from there.

Cheers and good luck hunting!

Clovis559

Commendable
May 12, 2016
In that budget I would look at the nicer end of Logitechs. I had some Z-2300. Even though they were 2.1, they are what lead me to leave headphones behind originally.

I now have migrated to a Yamaha/Klipsch 5.1.2 surround. My living room is setup so the computer and TV use the setup. When the gf comes over the Computer desk slides out of the middle of the room to the side. We watch movies and I play games.