What is a good audio card

zniff

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Im searching a for a good Audio card . but i need the Audio card to have plugs for 3 things
1.headset
2. microphone
3. 5.1 speakers

these 3 things needs to be covered for me. so im looking for the best Audio card of 2018 with these requirements. the Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 meets my needs for cables covered. and a wide 32 bit / 384 kHz. but is this better and is there any other cards that can compete against it.

Solution
There arent many discrete audio card makers left; have a look at the Asus website, they used to do a DS/DX range that was well regarded, however it was more than a few years ago, so I dont know what their current offerings are like.

TBH though, unless you are running the output through a £1000 amp and similar price speakers, the built in audio on a decent modern motherboard is very good.

10 years back, I used to run a speciality power amp and £400 speakers, and couldnt tell the difference between the then top of the mid range mobos from MSI and Asus, and the fairly expensive Creative and Asus DS/DX sound cards I had; in fact the onboard sound quality was miles better than the previous generation of Creative cards.

CaptainCretin

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
There arent many discrete audio card makers left; have a look at the Asus website, they used to do a DS/DX range that was well regarded, however it was more than a few years ago, so I dont know what their current offerings are like.

TBH though, unless you are running the output through a £1000 amp and similar price speakers, the built in audio on a decent modern motherboard is very good.

10 years back, I used to run a speciality power amp and £400 speakers, and couldnt tell the difference between the then top of the mid range mobos from MSI and Asus, and the fairly expensive Creative and Asus DS/DX sound cards I had; in fact the onboard sound quality was miles better than the previous generation of Creative cards.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Creative cards have Creative drivers. I dropped them years ago because of that. The best sound card on the market is the Asus Xonar STX II. I've had an original STX for almost 8 years and it's an amazing card.