What is diff. between go7800 and go7800 GT

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I am looking at the Dell Inspiron 9400.

It looked absolutely great and is selling for an amazing price. So i have been looking for a catch.

Well, a PC magazine review (based on a pre-production 9400) equates the go7800 to a lowly ati x1600 !! This can't be right...can it??

I can't find a review on the go7800 (prolly because every entry i see on google has that pesky gtx monikor on the end of it)

I can only find one or 2 forum entries mentioning the go7800.

The PCmagazine mentions the go7800 is underclocked to conserve battery life.

So my question is what are the full specs on the go7800 (nvidia's site is very vague on it)?
Is Dell underclocking this card on their own intiative? If so, can this card be "unlocked" or will it scale up if it is attached to a wall socket?

Is the go7800 ==to the go7800 GT??? (Doesn't sound like it)

As it stands...a 40% performance drop in games..makes it very disappointing. :(

Keep in mind i am not asking about any GTX variant.

TIA :)

edit: pc magazine review (seems suspect) is here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1908402,00.asp

edit: oops the title should just say 7800 GT (as in desktop version of the reduced gtx destop variant)

Flames_Fan_Forever

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Hi Redstar,

Looks I've followed you over to this forum trying to find an answer to the same question - What are the specs on the Go 7800 card?

I've already ordered two 9400's on January 9th. Initially I didn't realize there was such a difference in apparent speed vs the GTX. I'm starting to worry about what exactly I'm going to get now.

Why would Nvidia reduce the speed? Battery Life only or would there be another reason such as heat displacement? Is there a cost issue here that I'm not understanding?

Flames_Fan_Forever

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I found this interesting from VR-Zone.

Page Title: NVIDIA Unveils GeForce Go 7800, 7600 & 7400
Category: GPUs & Graphic Cards
Type: News
Posted By: Visionary
Date: January 6, 2006, 4:27 pm
Source: NVIDIA

NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA) today introduced three new graphics processing units (GPUs)—the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800, GeForce Go 7600, and GeForce Go 7400 GPUs—bringing cutting-edge 3D, high-definition, home theatre–quality video and advanced power management to the notebook market.

These three additional GeForce Go 7 Series GPUs are included in tier one OEM notebooks launching at or shortly after CES. OEM design wins, based on the newest Intel Centrino mobile platform, include: ASUS, Acer, Gateway, LG, Samsung, SONY, and others. In addition, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7-series GPUs were selected to drive the video and graphics in the first notebook computer to integrate the new HD DVD media standard, the Toshiba Qosmio audio-video notebook PC.

Those new notebooks that have been launched will be on display at CES this year, from January 5-8 at the NVIDIA booth, located in booth number 36200 in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

“Over the last year, NVIDIA has led the market for high performance GPUs for enthusiast notebooks,” stated Dr. Jon Peddie, President of Tiburon, CA-based Jon Peddie Research, the market research firm that tracks GPU chips. “We are now seeing this performance per watt efficiency driving GeForce Go 7 GPUs deeper into all segments of the notebook market, especially with the latest platforms from Intel and AMD.”

Based on and following up on the extremely successful architecture as the award-winning NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX GPU, the new GeForce Go 7800, Go 7600, and Go 7400 GPUs feature a completely redesigned architecture that delivers a number of groundbreaking achievements, including:

Next-generation NVIDIA HD PureVideo™ technology, which lets users experience home theater–quality HD video on the notebook PC—key to the exciting new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray HD formats.
Brand new programmable shader architecture, delivering twice the shading horsepower of the previous generation of notebook
Support for the latest games and applications with DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and film quality high dynamic range (HDR) lighting, the must-have feature for developers delivering more realism to real-time gaming
Designed to provide top-tier support for the upcoming Microsoft® Windows® Vista OS
NVIDIA PowerMizer® technology, with advanced power management features that enable the dramatic performance enhancements in the same power budget as the previous generation of GPUs. With reduced power consumption and less heat generation, this results in cooler and smaller notebooks with increased battery life
These new notebook GPUs leverage the superior performance per watt efficiency of the GeForce Go 7 Series architecture, delivering superior performance in graphics and high definition video support at their respective notebook segments:

The GeForce Go 7800 delivers enthusiast-level graphics and video performance for slimmer notebooks with significantly reduced power.
The GeForce Go 7600 provides the perfect balance of graphics and video performance for slim multimedia notebooks.
The GeForce Go 7400 creates the no-compromise mobile notebook, a small, thin, highly portable notebook, equipped with the latest graphics and high-definition video support.

Flames_Fan_Forever

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
And there's this I saw which really leads me to believe that the Go 7800 must be at least as good as the X1600 as this is the Go 7600:

12th January, 2006 | 9:00am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nvidia Corp has unveiled technical specifications of its recently announced GeForce Go 7600 graphics processing unit (GPU). The product is aimed at the performance-mainstream market segment. The part is expected to replace the GeForce Go 6600, whereas on the desktop side it can leave behind the GeForce 6600 GT.

The GeForce Go 7600 sports 8 pixel processors, 5 vertex processors, 8 raster operation units (ROPs), 8 texture mapping units (TMUs) and sport a 128-bit memory controller according to a spec sheet provided by Nvidia Corp. The new chip is produced using 90nm process technology. Notebook manufacturers are allowed to clock the GeForce Go 7600 at up to 450MHz for chip and up to 1000MHz for memory.

The GeForce Go 7600 sports Shader Model 3.0, PureVideo engine and other innovations.

The GeForce Go 7600 is likely to be available in the desktop lineup of Nvidia Corp. eventually as the GeForce 7600-series lineup. The higher-end flavour of such lineup is likely to feature core-clock speeds much higher than 450MHz. Thanks to new architecture, increased clock-speeds, increased numbers of ROPs and vertex shader processors, the flagship GeForce 7600 will have enough power to leave the GeForce 6600 GT behind and compete against ATI’s Radeon X1600 XT model.