What Is Plex Live TV? What Cord-Cutters Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nei1

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
What? It's a DVR?

It gets is programming from Over the Air. The article doesn't make it clear that all you need is a [modern] TV to watch Over the Air digital broadcast TV. If you have an LCD TV, switch the menu to "Antenna," plug in the cable from an antenna, and watch the free TV, signals -- which has less compression than cable and satellite. At your convenience, play with some antennas -- which vary from cheap and simple to $100 and are intended to be installed on the roof -- and see what you can get for free. The bigger the antenna, the more signals you'll be able to receive, but if you have a city nearby, then a cheap, simple, even indoor antenna will get all the networks. When you need a break from experimentation, just switch back to your usual cable or satellite. Conversely, if you got plenty of signals coming in for free, then you won't be the first to cancel your cable or satellite after discovering all the free TV.

Check http://antennaweb.org/Address for a good estimate of what signals will be available at your location, how strong you can expect them to be, and therefore how small or large an antenna you would need to receive each signal.

The article compares Plex to Sling, Playstation Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu, and DirecTV Now. But it doesn't compare Plex to running the antenna directly into your TV or getting a DVR for free digital broadcasts. That's where the article should have started.

Margie_37

Prominent
May 19, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Margie_37 : "Plex Live TV"

I read the article about Plex Live TV and it sounded like all you were going to get is the same channels that you would get with an antenna.
Did I miss the point of the article other than the fact that with more equipment installation you could record some content?
[don't post your email address on any forum]

All it seems to do is merge the output of an over the air tuner with the Plex app and allow DVR functions. I guess if you use Plex a lot it would be convenient but you can get a ova tuner with built in DVR functions including some that have multiple tuners such as the Tivo or Channel Master. That might be easier if you watch TV in a more old school way.

ASimpleLife

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
Since I could NOT and still Cannot afford the Ourtragious Middle Man Cable Fees {WHILE NOW HAVING TO WATCH COMMERCIALS}, I cut the cord 2 years ago. With the FREE Stations I get Without Paying ANYONE is just fine with me (Unless ~Maybe~ If I could get Fox News back). To me; this is just another middle man company trying to make $$$$ and they will eventually Raise Their Prices. I am Done With That HEADACHE! A Simplier Life is Much Better :)

Gh0stWalker

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
I used to like Plex as a thing until this. They want $5 a month to enable you to stream live tv (free to air tv no less) around your network, and maybe do some PVR/time shifting. Why pay for free to air? You already paid for it by watching the adverts - you want to pay to watch adverts? Just get another antenna/cheap set top box. Or get a HD home run. Or configure your own raspberry pi or NAS/linux box to do your own streaming. Just don't put it near the internet or the cable companies will ratf*ck it for you. Don't be conned into paying a parasitic middleman good money for doing nothing for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.