What is the "best" anti virus there is?

samraptor

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Kicking the price tag out of the window and just by going off of the ease of use, virus detection, removal and general protection offered by each of the different anti virus programs which is the best out of all of them is the best to use.

Also it would be great if you can offer some proof of your choice.

RealBeast

Distinguished
The "best" is a machine that has no web connection. Second best is a smart user that updates the definitions and is careful where they go, and probably uses a hosts file blocking list for bad sites ( http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm ). As far as which is the "best" software, the reviews and tests of current programs come down to Bitdefender, Norton, and Webroot.

Personally, I use MS Essentials or the free Avast, a hosts file, and common sense and never have issues.

drewsays

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I personally like Comodo CSI. I get not only anti-virus software that is good and free but I also get a good firewall. It is completely free. They also offer other services like a VPN at a reasonable rate. I have been using Comodo since 2010 and have not had any virii yet.

But as RealBeast has stated.... The best is a box with no net connection. Hope this helps.

RMelick

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Picking the right antivirus software really comes down to meeting your total needs. A small packaged, full functioned antivirus program like Webroot SecureAnywhere might be a good option for you.

PCMag recently gave it an outstanding review, which can be found here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393678,00.asp. There is a full explanation as to why and how it was tested and compared. For a more in depth comparison, a full breakdown of scores from a test by PassMark Software can be found here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/resources-competitive.html

My best advice I can give in regards to picking the right antivirus is giving them all a test with their trial programs, looking at not only how well they protect, but your system's performance with protection, and the overall intrusiveness of the program while you're working. Good luck with your decision making.

luxology

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
+1s for RealBeast and sairasie's posts.

Here is a summary of my experiences with anti virus software (note Norton was a while ago):
Effect on system speed:
Norton - significantly slowed
McAfee - horribly slowed
Comodo - slightly slowed
MSE & Windows Defender - no noticeable affect

Ease of use:
Norton - no complaints, good selection of tools?? (can't remember that well)
McAfee - menus were a bit frustrating, good selection of tools
Comodo - easy to use, ok selection of tools
MSE & Windows Defender - very easy to use, few tools included

Protection:
Norton - detected some stuff, slow scanning (?? hours)
McAfee - detected some stuff, lots of false positives, missed a virus that Comodo then picked up, very slow scanning (7 hours +)
Comodo - detected some stuff, can't remember how fast it scanned (?? hours)
MSE & Windows Defender - some false positives, didn't detect anything (probably wasn't anything to pick up), fast scanning (~3 to 4 hours)

Norton - have heard lots of bad things about it, seems to be very unpopular, but highly regarded by CNET (note: would not recommend taking buying advice solely from CNET or PC Mag)
McAfee - mixed reviews, I have heard it is thorough, but also lots of complaints on speed
Comodo - seems to be smaller, haven't heard much about it
MSE & Windows Defender - have heard very bad things about its ability to detect viruses

Other AV brands of note I haven't yet tried:
Kaspersky
AVG
Bit Defender

Anyway, hope that was helpful - I based the above on personal experiences and reading reviews, so take it with a grain of salt and some research.

lux

EDIT: spelling mistake, paraphrasing

alexalbert

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

According to me best antivirus is that who provide best antivirus support to you any time and keep away your all kind data safe from virus & malware attacks and solve all your problem regarding virus

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'm using Comodo Firewall Suite + Avira Antivirus since three years. In my experience, it's the best combo + both are Free! :)

TRENDING THREADS