What is the best cloud storage to use?

JaredDM

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
It all depends on what you're trying to do, and how much storage you need. I personally just use my Synology NAS which has a cloud feature very similar to Dropbox, but I've also got 12Tb of storage in there which would cost a fortune to buy.

It depends on several factors:
- how much data you want to store
- what is the maximum file size
- how long you plan to rely on that storage
- how good you want it integrated into your OS
- how much (if any) you are willing to pay
- where (geographically) the data is hosted? Who can access it?
- etc etc etc

Bottom line: Don't store anything sensitive without proper encryption. Don't use it as your only storage - always have offline backup.s

Zeppi_

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
What would you suggest for about 3 terabytes of non sensitive data when it comes to cloud storage? I do't need extremely fast access - I just want another backup outside my house of my work. I plan to keep using it for several years.

Google drive: 15GB free, $9.99/mo for 1TB
OneDrive: 6.99/mo for 1TB
I suppose you can find other big fishes' pricing by yourselves, and I would not go with free service which can disappear tomorrow.

3TB is lot of data. Just calculate how long it would take to upload that amount of data.

OTOH - 3TB external drive is $100. Rotating two of them (one at home, one kept into a bank vault / friends house provides for enough "peace of mind".

Zeppi_

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

I like your idea of keeping at least one drive with some relatives in another house. I have 12 years' worth of professional photography stored on drives. At first I used DVDs, then BLU ray, but file sizes became too large. The only time I lost some images was while making a back up copy and I lost a folder or two out of thousands, so now I make multiple copies of the folders I am working on.

Zeppi_

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
As regards the original question of whether Google drive or dropbox should be chosen... I have used both and I have settled for drop box. I use it with clients and I never had any problems. Maybe because I was not paying attention but with Google drive, photos which I did not want to share ended up being shared. Drop box gives you up to 16Gb which for the sort of thing I use it for is enough. I use it to send photos to clients. If each photo is about 3 MB I can put hundreds of photos for several clients.

Zeppi_

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

Thanks for this. I looked it up. What Yahoo are offering is an email account with 1TB of email storage. Here is their link: https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/