what is the best free AV for windows 8?

sniffusbits

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
hi friends,
im using windows 8 basic edition and im looking for a free AV and firewall for my System. would any one like to recommend any AV and firewalls?

please note that the AV and firewall cannot cause these additional issues
- Slows down computer
- give boot problems
- detect clean files as viruses - I was using AVG in the year 2005 and I went through a lot pain with it : (

thanks

Buniculbroscoi

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
When it comes on choosing an Antivirus, all of us can only provide you information due to our personal preference. You will have to research and find the one that suits you best, whether you want a lightweight antivirus, a free antivirus, a sensitive or a middle range. This website will help you make up your mind and find out what serves you, but you will need to sacrifice some time in order to research:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
As for Windows 8, i have read many complaints one month ago on Kaspersky and ESET forums because of having compability problems. They should be fixed by now.
My personal preference, due to my own research would be norton internet security 2014. Not so heavy, excellent detection, good firewall but it consumes CPU power in contrast with ESET.

AkshatG

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Hi sniffusbits

IMO windows defender is the best you can get out there I believe...I have been using it for more than a couple of years now and have seen a lot of improvement in the program....I have not been infected by any virus once in these years...I would blindly suggest to go for windows defender....and the best part is its free from Microsoft the company whose windows we are using. Hope this helps :)

hamed033

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I use Comodo Internet Security and i am happy with it.It doesnt uses a lot of resources, it has a firewall and a high detection rate.It also has a sandbox and pretty strong HIPS. It has a program called kill switch (more information about it here: http://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-328-3518-.html ) its smilar to task manager.It also has a virtual kiosk .It also has a gaming mode.You can also make a rescue disk with it.And i think it is the best free AV.