What is the best laptop with Win7 and can do mid-range gaming?

G

I have having a hard time finding a good laptop for under $900. I just want it to be able to do Photoshop, 3D Modeling such as Autodesk Maya, and mid-range gaming such as Unreal Tournament 3 max out, Fallout 3 max out, and Skyrim on medium settings.
I just want it to be able to do what my computer does now or better as I am getting getting rid of it.

My desktop specs is (late 2009 27" iMac):
Intel Core i5 2.66Ghz Quad-Core (1st Generation)
500gb 5400rpm hard drive Seagate
16gb 1067Mhz Memory/RAM
ATI Radeon HD Mobility 4850 512mb

I have a 2K resolution display on this iMac but I hate it. It's too much for me and an overkill. I am perfectly fine with with a resolution between 1600 x 900 to 1920 x 1080.

Is there any laptop with Windows 7 not Windows 8 that can do what my computer does or better for under $900? I really do not want Windows 8 period. Also, it does not have to be a gaming laptop, it just want it to only be a inch thick. I really hate loud or think laptops with low battery. I can be a little bit flexible with my price budget.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated in finding a laptop like above!

Solution
You're going to be hard pressed to find something like that in your price range. Good gaming laptops with better dedicated graphics typically start around $1200. In you price range you'll probably have to settle for a 650M or similar, although that shouldn't be too bad. The 580m is a bit old and on the way out, so unless you get a refurb you should figure out what 6 series card you can live with and search for that.

The real bummer is going to be the price and heft: you're looking at 1"+ form factor and probably north of 6 pounds. See the Pavilion DV7 as an example.

I would urge you to reconsider your Windows 7 requirement. All the new PCs will have 8, and although 8 isn't great with a little work you'll be just fine. A quick...
G

Okay....looks like my question was too long or overly detailed. I simply am looking for a Windows 7 laptop with a gtx 580m. Hopefully it's under $1000-900 price range.

Gundy

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
You're going to be hard pressed to find something like that in your price range. Good gaming laptops with better dedicated graphics typically start around $1200. In you price range you'll probably have to settle for a 650M or similar, although that shouldn't be too bad. The 580m is a bit old and on the way out, so unless you get a refurb you should figure out what 6 series card you can live with and search for that.

The real bummer is going to be the price and heft: you're looking at 1"+ form factor and probably north of 6 pounds. See the Pavilion DV7 as an example.

I would urge you to reconsider your Windows 7 requirement. All the new PCs will have 8, and although 8 isn't great with a little work you'll be just fine. A quick search on Newegg will turn up plenty of laptops in your price range with decent gaming chops, all running Windows 8. Take it from me, it's not as bad as you think.

Solution
G

I found this Acer laptop. It's better than my iMac for gaming. I saw some youtube videos showing how it ran BF3 ultra settings in 20fps. My iMac can only do 20fps in ultra LOW 720p. That is a difference to me. I don't need a kickass gaming laptop. I am getting a custom build desktop for that kind of thing. I just need portability (I'm in college, so I am in and out often). Here is the Acer laptop I found, what you think of it?

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-v3-571g/4505-3121_7-35331779.html

As far as Windows 7 vs Windows 8 laptops, another reason I want a Windows 7 laptop is so I can also have Linux in it.

Hi,
Use your iMac.

Your ONLY issue is with the high resolution display. That's likely because of the small text etc.

This is easily resolved, though I can only tell you how it works in WINDOWS. It's called increasing the DPI. Some points:
- I increase the DPI by about 40% (you can experiment).
- I can also do this for each web page (CTRL + mouse-scroll)
- FIREFOX has an ADDON called "NoSquint" which pre-scales all pages, then you can adjust via the above method (remembers each site)

Summary:
- higher resolution produces sharper text
- the SMALLNESS issue can be resolved by increasing the DPI (Dots per Inch)
- your NATIVE resolution should be the MAXIMUM (2560x1440?) with DPI scaling done AFTER.

2560x1440 and gaming:
Don't use this resolution in games if your system isn't powerful enough. It incurs roughly a 30% hit over 1920x1080 and doesn't look much different for most games (games with small text like Diablo 3 are different).

Windows 8:
Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. You can simply buy Stardock's Start8 to bring back the Start Menu etc. Windows 8 is more secure, reliable, boots faster, and has several other benefits.

G

My problem is not the display. I can see just fine. My computer is overheating and crashing all the time whenever I play a modern game or do 3d modeling. I have to get a new computer for both work and school. I am getting a very powerful custom build. I just want a cheap laptop for portability that can do what my current iMac can do or better.

G

I think I figure that part out after 3 years of having this horrible computer. Everyone told me to get a mac or else I am gay or something. Now I have a computer science/hardware degree and also have been looking at pc gaming and pc hardwares online for the past year or so. I now know a lot more than I did 3 years ago. I don't think Windows 8 is better as far as productivity goes and not allowing Linux to be installed. I understand I can get the start orb back but that's is not a good enough reason for me to get Windows 8. I also do 3D modeling using Autodesk Maya for my college degree and personal time. I do a lot of gaming as well and I hate my iMac unable to even play Doom 3 max settings or Crysis 1 max...