What is the Best way to connect speakers to 2 devices at once?

SensationzH4mR

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
I have a set of standard Dell USB speakers that are currently connected to my rig via male 3.5mm. I have recently switched my Xbox One over to a monitor due to my deteriorating eyesight and faster response times. I am using a pretty outdated monitor that doesn't have an HDMI input, so I am connected via an HDMI to DVI-D cable I got on Amazon. The only issue was that at the time, I was unaware of the fact that DVI-D does not carry audio. So idiotically, I decided to go out and buy an adapter that did not work at all. I then got duped again due to bad marketing where the product that I bought was completely incorrectly titled and did not do what it said it would. It was a "Toslink to 3.5mm or RCA adapter" that I bought through Amazon for around $10.00. The only thing was that it was not "Toslink to 3.5mm or RCA adapter", it was "Toslink to RCA and no other options". So basically they said it would output 3.5mm and it doesnt. Now I have to buy an RCA to female 3.5mm to connect it to my PC. Now that that's all over, I need to know if I can connect my speakers to 2 different devices at the same time. I was planning to buy a female 3.5mm to 2x male 3.5mm to connect my speaker cable to the female end, and plug one of the ends into my PC, and the other into the adapter for Xbox One audio. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out and tell me if I can connect the 2 devices to 1 set of speakers, and if so, will my suggested solution work. If not please try and suggest something else.
Thanks

R_1

Estimable
Herald
if the speakers are USB powered it will work as you describe. 2 sources> splitter >shared speakers. or 2 speakers>splitter>1 audio source. works both ways
if the speakers gets the audio signal over the USB IDK how to make that happen.

ashik1983

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
The simple answer is YES it will work. Your speakers are USB powered so it will have to be powered up all the time. Perhaps you can plug the USB into your Xbox as well to power it.

If you do not mind some cutting and taping, you can use your Toslink to RCA cable. Just cut the RCA pins and attach 1 wire to 1 of the speakers, and the 2nd one to the other. So this will create a joint but will save you 2 extra cables you are planning to buy.