What is the Oculus Rift?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Mackay

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
This is something that has taken and is taking too long to release. What is the point of announcing this vaporware a couple years ago when it was no where from being complete. For all I know it is that idiot Carmack that is destroying this device just like he did with ID software...
How is this Vaporware? DK1 has been available to buy for a YEAR for only $300 and DK2 is now available to pre-order for $350 (I ordered mine the morning it was announced) and you can always pick up a bargain on ebay or the likes.As for the length of time to launch the Retail version, they could have launched DK1 or DK2 as retail versions and people would have bought them then quickly realised there were not many quality games available and gotten pissed off, it takes on average 3-4 years to develop a AAA game so if Oculus take 3-4 years to launch the retail Rift then at least there will be some AAA titles available at launch.Why did they announce it so early? To get the industry to take note of how much buzz and media/consumer attention the concept of a VR headset is getting, with Sony just showing Project Morpheus out of nowhere I'd say they have achieved that goal, the world knows and is excited, big industry players are forming a line and signing up to support this new (Again) format and throwing development behind it.If you are so desperate for the Rift then bug one, if you don't care for it then why are you commenting here?

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
What a ridiculus title to this article. The only question people really have now is "When is the Oculus Rift coming out" now what it is.

Jason Mackay

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
I would like to think the Retail Rift would launch for Christmas 2014 but something tells me it may be Summer 2015.This is why I have pre-ordered DK2, I was going to wait for the Retail launch but when I saw the massive improvements over DK1 I realised I couldn't resist any longer, It took me all of 10 seconds to convince myself that it was well worth getting DK2 because when the Rift is launched to Retail, perhaps next July perhaps this Christmas, it will sell out immediately and retailers will have the opportunity to hike up prices on what little stock they can get their hands on. There will possibly be a Retail V2 a year after Retail V1 launches and if I have DK2 then I can easily wait for that, meaning I get an extra 4-20 months with a Rift and will have a library of games AND I will know if I need a new Video card and will have time to save for a good one. I can also figure out what control method to get.I am currently eyeing up the Sixense Stem system as well as an Virtuix Omni, although I'm not very fit so that may not be the best idea, although it may make me fit in the long run :)

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
How many more times are they gonna make these articles. Seriously, they make 1 every 2 months and it's getting annoying.
They're not writing new articles, they're updating the existing one. That's why there are comments dating back to December. No sense having multiple articles with their own comments.

Gwyneth Llewelyn

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 1, 2010
BTW, besides the Unity and Unreal engines, Second Life is also compatible with the Oculus Rift. Nothing like already having a fully-fledged virtual world for Rift fans, while waiting for Facebook to develop their own ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.