What is the Syrian Electronic Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Revenant

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
expl0itfinder, while I certainly agree that internet warfare is the future, it's madness to say that it will (or can) have an impact "more devastating than any bomb or chemical". At the end of the day, this is information warfare, which can certainly have devastating impacts, but nothing near the sheer damage in loss of lives that high-yield bombs and chemical weapons (to say nothing of nuclear weapons) can inflict.

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
You'd think more advanced IT security personnel work at the NY Times... Shouldn't they be able to stop this from happening?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@axehead15: Unfortunately this post didn't provide much in terms of details, but the reality is that the attack did not take place within the NY Times -- it was carried out on their domain registrar located in Austria. Apparently they used phishing and obtained the credentials of the master admin account at the domain registrar. The original article I read on Yahoo mentioned also that the same registrar is responsible for some really high profile domains like microsoft.com, so SEA had the potential to do some serious damage for the hour to hour and a half they had their access within the registrar.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
"We are just Syrian youths who want to defend their country against the media campaign that is full of lies and fabricated news reports."

So they just hack news sites and post fabricated stories themselves. Sounds very youth-ish to me.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hackers? Looks more like script-kiddies! They hack nothing...just use scripts and bot-nets to create DoS... They have not hacked in any of us govt servers...get no sensitive data... they are just a bunch of kids playing! They disrupt what? Australian DNS servers...

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
"This is the future of warfare. And it will have a much more devastating effect than any bomb or chemical ever could."

You may as well follow up with "Give me Internet, or give me death!

Status
Not open for further replies.