Solved! What kind of virus is this? Google Chrome related

Bravemaniac

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
1. When googling something after search results come up, second later first 5 web results change to fake websites(scam websites)
2. Using amazon or yahoo to check my mail, often sends me to some fake antivirus website. It rotates me between 5 fake websites, when trying to leave.
3. Even when I was writing this, I was sent on scam websites.

It doesn't happens on most of the websites.
Do I have to do something or will this fix itself?
Even now I refreshed this page and it opened new tab:
http://www.reimageplus.com/lp/sqi/index.php?tracking=expXML&banner=Feed1_Keys1_US_11_SLM_81502&adgroup=antivirus&ads_name=www.tomshardware.com&keyword=81502_4001_50529_5108_speait2&xml_uuid=D6E93D0F-650B-4FE1-9494-3C2E108650AD&nms=1&lpx=slm

Solution

Okay I defaulted google chrome settings and now it seems to have fixed google search pretty sure it fixed everything

Bravemaniac

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
I tried that, there are still scam websites popping up in google search, I haven't noticed any new tabs or redirecting websites yet
Never mind that, it happened just now, new tab opened up with reimagine

Bravemaniac

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

I tried that, there are still scam websites popping up in google search, I haven't noticed any new tabs or redirecting websites yet
Never mind that, it happened just now, new tab opened up with reimagine

Bravemaniac

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

It found something google search related, but right now it still opened a new tab reimagine repair
It made me restart computer to remove it

Bravemaniac

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

Okay I defaulted google chrome settings and now it seems to have fixed google search pretty sure it fixed everything

Solution

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Also glad that you got this knocked out. I have seen some adware/marketingware that hides out in Chrome's settings. They're usually not malicious in and of themselves -- although they may direct you to some sketchy locations, they are not always detected as malware per se. Make sure that you have protection in place to protect you against malicious URL's or drive by attacks :)

If you have any specific examples of what you encountered (files or screenshots) you can submit them to our threat labs directly: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/258/

Usually, as you did, removing them from Chrome's policies or settings will resolve the issue!

Bravemaniac

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

Google Chrome extension: SpeakIt 1.2.0 caused google search fake websites to show up.
I tested on enable and disable, there is no doubt about it.