Solved! What laptop is best for both gaming and work?

Mar 3, 2020
Hi! I'm looking for a new laptop, but not sure where to start. I've used an HP Elitebook for the last several years, but many new games I would like to play require a better graphics card. And this one is getting on anyway. I also use it for our small business documents, general every day usage.

My budget is ideally less than $1k, but willing to spend a couple hundred more if it is a huge difference.

Not sure about size? I guess 15 or up?

I've always had standard resolution, so not adverse to better.

The best possible battery, but I do have AC outlets in my vehicle, so I can always just bring the charger.

I want to play the new Nancy Drew game, and Witcher 3 specifically. But I'd like to not be limited on what games I can play.

Microsoft Office is a must, internet, etc.

Large HD capacity, but I am purchasing a 2TB external HD also. I have been told that SSD is the best, but no clue again.

I'm used to HP, haven't used a CD drive in years, and open to suggestions. I live in the US.

Thanks very much!

Solution
Hi! I'm looking for a new laptop, but not sure where to start. I've used an HP Elitebook for the last several years, but many new games I would like to play require a better graphics card. And this one is getting on anyway. I also use it for our small business documents, general every day usage.

My budget is ideally less than $1k, but willing to spend a couple hundred more if it is a huge difference.

The best possible battery, but I do have AC outlets in my vehicle, so I can always just bring the charger.

I want to play the new Nancy Drew game, and Witcher 3 specifically. But I'd like to not be limited on what games I can play...

I want to play the new Nancy Drew game, and Witcher 3 specifically. But I'd like to not be limited on what games I can play.

Microsoft Office is a must, internet, etc.

Large HD capacity, but I am purchasing a 2TB external HD also. I have been told that SSD is the best, but no clue again.

I'm used to HP, haven't used a CD drive in years, and open to suggestions. I live in the US.

Thanks very much!

Gaming laptops are not going to be good on battery so I would not worry much about battery life if you are looking for a system to run games on with a good video card.

MS Office is a separate license from the laptop so that does not really matter.

Check out www.xoticpc.com and see what models are there, pretty much anything on that site would be a good pick in your price range. The weaker the video card the better battery you will have but the slower games will run and you will be limited to lower quality settings.

This for $900 is good https://xoticpc.com/collections/closeout-inventory/products/msi-ps63-modern-096

This is better with a better screen but less battery life https://xoticpc.com/collections/closeout-inventory/products/msi-gf65-thin-9sd-004

Keep in mind that light, thin, battery life and gaming don't mix well. For something that runs a lot at load you want larger case for good cooling.

Solution