what laptop is better for gaming

Solution
D
They both aren't great for gaming. If I had to choose one, it would be the HP one but what's your budget as there may be a better option out there?
D

Deleted member 1697763

They both aren't great for gaming. If I had to choose one, it would be the HP one but what's your budget as there may be a better option out there?

Solution

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
The first one would definitely be better for gaming since it has a higher end intel i7 gaming CPU

Please do not choose the second one for gaming like the person above me said^
The second one has a really low end AMD CPU clocked at only 1.7GHZ thats terrible!

The first one still has a older laptop graphics card though

Might I recommend this one:
Lenovo y50
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/
Newer Maxwell nvidia gtx860m along with a high end i7
not overall expensive compared to other laptops in the thousands range
Trusted company as well

D

Deleted member 1697763

A higher clocked CPU doesn't guarantee good performance in games. The graphics matters more than a higher clock speed as that's what will be converting wireframes from the game into proper things by putting textures onto them - this is why I chose the second one - the graphics is better on this laptop compared to the first one. I agree that the Lenovo Y50 would be better but from the options OP has given, the second one is better.

For the price of the 1st laptop, go for this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MM2WA8O/

It's updated and is a lot better than both of that laptops originally suggested for about the same price.

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Dude I really dont think the AMD GPU can hold up against the GTX460m in the ASUS
But even if the AMD GPU beat the Nvidia GPU
The Intel CPU beats the pants off the AMD CPU in Gaming performance

With the ASUS you get a high end i7 and a good graphics card
with the HP you get a low end AMD CPU and I dont even know where the AMD GPU falls in to that combination
I really never even heard of that particular AMD Mobile GPU but I guess it could be better than the nvidia
The one you recommended for the OP, is nice as well
By the way I like your profile picture lol

D

Deleted member 1697763

The CPU in the Asus is good but I really don't think that it's worth it as the 460m can only be likened to the GPU in the second laptop if its in SLI with another one. The CPU is needed for gaming but not as much as the GPU in gaming - if a low scoring pentium with a good GPU can run most games really well surely the AMD can run games better too?

And thanks, I thought the avatar summed up my philosophy so I chose it :D

Personally I think OP shouldn't go for either of the PCs in the original post and should instead go for the one I recommend as it can play most new games at medium or high at good fps but if that's not an option, I would just wait a bit and save up more to get a better laptop as both are relatively low end for gaming :)

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Heres a GPUBoss Test:
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8510-vs-GeForce-GTX-460M
This is also comparing the Desktop version of the 8510 found in the second laptop with a GTX 460M found in first laptop

Heres a Game-Debate Test:
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1499&gid2=433&compare=radeon-hd-8510g-vs-geforce-gtx-460m
GTX 460M wins again

It has more Video ram than the Radeon
The GTX460M also has a higher clock speed
More TMUs
Higher Pixel Rate

In Summary, The GTX 460M is better than the Radeon based and being paired with a High end i7 Puts it way above the Gaming Laptop Hierarchy than the Second one
And we all know HP, I mean come on they do not try to make gaming laptops on the other hand ASUS actually tries to making gaming laptops

And those Pentiums might only be dual core but are clocked pretty High (3.8GHz), but they are only present in desktops atm

I agree with you that if OP does want better gaming performance, he should definitely wait and save up more till he can get a better laptop

D

Deleted member 1697763

I'll take your word for it - I tend to judge GPUs by their 3Dmark scores where the AMD scored higher than the GeForce. This is coming from an Nvidia fanboy who prefers Nvidia because of my line of work and chooses them whenever I get the chance, so believe me - it would take a lot from AMD to bowl me over :D

I don't even think OP will even have to save up for long though - the laptop I recommended was only $20 ish more :)

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Haha, Brother I feel you
I usually tend to fanboy over Intel and Nvidia over AMD Products, I guess in this case the benchmarks backed me up, :D
I began to respect AMD products though
They are of low cost and provide better $/Performance So If i were to build a $600 Rig it would be all AMD lol
Nice RIG, btw