What laptop should I get?

htc fan

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Best Buy is going be replacing my laptop So, it needs to be available at Best Buy. I'm going be using it for school work mostly, (engineering ) and maybe some gaming. ( I already have a gaming desktop,so not a requirement). Mostly needs a great display and decent battery life. My previous laptop was a macbook pro retina 13 (2013).

1. What is your budget? $1600-$2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13-15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want? FHD-QHD

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 3hrs at least

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? not a requirement, but if yes at least able to run gta 5 in medium setting

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) matlab, circuit designing, java,

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? ssd with at least 256gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Best Buy

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Being using mac since 2011, don't mind using windows. (asus, Msi, dell, lenovo)

13. What country do you live in? USA

htc fan

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

I would have stick with a mac, but they are really outdated. I'm stuck between these (last one isn't in stock)
http://
http://
and I'm also considering the surface book ( but, do you think kaby lake going be big improvement over skylake?)

htc fan

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Yeah that's true, dgpu means not great battery. The surface book is kind of expensive if you want more storage (512gb version is 2,700 dollars). Maybe after Oct 26th, the price on it will drop (if they release updated one). My other choice would be to accept subpar battery life and get msi gtx1060 laptop (15.6 model ) or get dell xps 15 (with a crappy outdated gpu). Thank you for taking your time to reply back here.

htc fan

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about doing, only thing I'm worried about is the trackpad being so awful.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

ill leave it at this, gaming laptops are not known for trackpads, lol nobody uses them that often hell i keep a small mouse in my bag and use that the trackpad looks brand new on my alienware cause i used it 2x

htc fan

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

For sure, when gaming I be using gaming mouse, but for light task would want a useable trackpad( don't want to carry a mouse to university with me). I'm eying the msi gs63vr model, but some users are having wifi problems. Now, I'm not sure if it's just bad one that person got. so, I'm back to square one again. I probably need to make up my mind on which laptop by next week. It's so hard picking the right laptop. (dam best buy selection)

This should be good: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-15-4-display-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-256gb-flash-storage-silver/8532502.p?skuId=8532502

I know it is a macbook but they are good for the things you need. The gpu wont make that much of a difference apart from in gaming. If you want a windows laptop then get any of the gaming ones. They will do the job well. Also there is going to be a microsoft and apple event. They may release new macbooks and surface pros so if you can wait I would.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Make sure its a Intel Wireless chipset ive had a lot better performance out of them as far as getting a strong signal.