What Net Neutrality's Approval Will Mean For You

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom457

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
With Government provided "net neutrality" you can keep your ISP plan, your ISP provider and “NN" will lower your monthly ISP bill by $25.00 at least ...
Everything you regulate cost more and it won't be the companies that provide you your access that pay for the cost of regulations. Just like that $10.00 Cable bill the government promised you, the quality of what you pay for is going to fall to match the net revenue drop this causes. Network TV is regulated and see how well that turned out vs. Cable TV offerings?

computertech82

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
ouch. so many brain deads here. the law/regulation STOPS COMPANIES FROM CHARGING YOU MORE if you try to use your internet for netflix, youtube, and any other website the internet provider wants to block.
GROW A BRAIN CELL and comprehend the stock market crashes, major poisoning of ppl by companies, etc, etc is the LACK of regulation (regulation is a fancy word for POLICE).

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
ouch. so many brain deads here. the law/regulation STOPS COMPANIES FROM CHARGING YOU MORE if you try to use your internet for netflix, youtube, and any other website the internet provider wants to block.
GROW A BRAIN CELL and comprehend the stock market crashes, major poisoning of ppl by companies, etc, etc is the LACK of regulation (regulation is a fancy word for POLICE).

Take your own advice. ISPs aren't charging extra to use Netflix et al. They ARE charging Netflix extra for a direct interconnection that bypasses Cogent (employed by Netflix). That was a Netflix decision because Cogent was unable to cope with the demand during peak hours.
It really depends on what kind of regulations they apply to Traffic Shaping settings

Traffic shaping/QoS is a form of packet discrimination. You could still use QoS on your own network. However, net neutrality would stop this "evil packet discrimination" on the ISP's end, which during peak hours isn't pleasant to think about.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I support the free market, but the internet was paid for with tax money. And we only have one high speed option in our small city of 75,000. So if we can't have more competition, I sure as hell don't want to have my only choice prioritizing some traffic over others.

Joe W

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015

That's the problem I have. Most stuff i see floating around implies that they want ISPs to stop period. Bob down the street loading up on bit torrents even legit ones effect my service. Multiply that by 10, 100, 1000, etc.. then there is a problem. I ran into this quite a few years ago when Napster was big. 100 people downloading metallica songs on a T1 brings the service to a crawl.. setup traffic shaping to give napster packets low priority 'solved' the problem

I tend to agree but with lack of competition in the ISP market we are at the mercy of the Comcasts, the verizons, etc. If there was competition i could just leave comcast and go to Bobs Internet service. The problem is it costs way too much to install the lines... it isn't like copper days where you could just get a T1 and some phone lines and setup a dialup service and expect to get a lot of customers, people want broadband.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Media distilled it down to this... and it's a good summary:
"The central question was whether network owners -- like Comcast (CMCSA) or Time Warner Cable (TWC) -- can discriminate what runs on their cables. The FCC's answer on Friday was: No."

Throwing out all the FUD that both sides have been throwing up... this is the bottom line. Time Warner, Comcast, and other ISP's can no long determine what runs across their lines for us... WE get to do that with our usage behavior.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
god this comment section is painful to read.

does everyone here think that people for net neutrality, as in tech startups and tech companies would go against their own best interest? companies that exist on the internet want the internet slow for some reason...

<mod edit>

FALC0N

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I think most of us agree that "net neutrality" is a good thing. It's all the stuff that might tag along for the ride is the part we worry about.

FALC0N

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Maybe, but the concern is legitimate. The government loves to over reach its authority. Then again, so do private companies. It's definitely a double edge sward

Status
Not open for further replies.