What People Google May Hint at Socio-Economic Wellbeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
And what people Yahoo or Bing is not hinting at anything?
I understand this study was done using Google Trends, but I don't think this is limited to one search engine.
The results are expected, anyways; people with more money to burn are more interested in ways to save/invest, as opposed to people who are concerned about making a daily living of what they have and are more concerned about tomorrow than years down the road. That's my impression, anyways, as I have lived for many years in a relatively poor country.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Interesting study, it's something I would not have thought of. However, always keep in mind it's important to remember the past as well.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If you have 45 Billion data sets it is natural to wonder what interesting relations will be hidden in them.
However, telling us someone started digging and than not giving us at least a few juicy examples; that's just outright mean :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If you have 45 Billion data sets it is natural to wonder what interesting relations will be hidden in them.
However, telling us someone started digging and than not giving us at least a few juicy examples; that's just outright mean :)

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Seems like an idiotic study. What better way to predict the future than studying the past? Isn't ALL information on the future based on an assesment of historical facts?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Note to UK readers. The UK government is hell-bent on enacting laws that will facilitate unlimited snooping on civilian Internet connections: sites, emails, address books.. you name it, they want it. Do note that this was the same coalition government that opposed previous bills.. until it got into power. The kind of information retrieved has a use beyond mere trends analysis; there are commercial as well as political interests at stake - look at Obama's targeted media and the effect it had on his seemingly miraculous race to the top of the slag-heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.