What processor is better?

wuchild4eva

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I'm choosing between two HP laptops and the only difference is the processor and the overall price. Which would be better for playing a game like Diablo III?

2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)

OR

AMD Quad-Core A8-3550MX Accelerated Processor (2.7GHz/2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

The other specs are as follows:

- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
- 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
- 15.6" Full HD HP Anti-glare LED (1920 x 1080)

Solution
The Intel Processor is much better
http://cpubenchmark.net/
go to this website, then press Ctrl f (if you have windows) and type in 2450m for the Intel, and A8-3550MX for the amd. what is the price difference?

pickleman_42

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
The Intel Processor is much better
http://cpubenchmark.net/
go to this website, then press Ctrl f (if you have windows) and type in 2450m for the Intel, and A8-3550MX for the amd. what is the price difference?

Solution

wuchild4eva

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

The Intel is $82 more expensive. I'm going between the HP Pavilion dv6zqe and dv6tqe. The latter has the intel processor.

I wasn't hoping to spent a lot. I plan on using this laptop for League of Legends in the meantime, but mainly schoolwork and Diablo 3.

carbonfountain

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
As someone pointed out earlier, because you have a discrete graphics card, the Intel chip is likely to perform better at stock speeds. Moreover, although you can "crossfire" the discrete graphics card with the integrated one for the AMD laptop, the results won't be good. This type of cross-firing consistently produces stuttering, and you'd be better off just running on video card alone.

With that said, my recommendation is to go with the AMD laptop. You indicated that you mainly want to use this for gaming. In gaming scenarios, the CPU doesn't matter. For a game like diablo 3, the AMD is plenty good, and you can save the $80 for something in the future. Also, the AMD chips can be significantly overclocked AND undervolted at the same time. This not only closes the gap between the chips, but also means that the AMD laptop will generally result in less heat and longer battery life. For your reference, I have a laptop with the A6-3420m. The stock speed is 1.4 ghz, but I can easily overclock it to 2.6 ghz on air and keep it running at only 70-75 degrees.

wuchild4eva

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

While I will be gaming, yes, I will also be doing various homework assignments. This laptop will be new for when I enter my Master's graduate program and for playing Diablo 3. But blahh... I was convinced out of the AMD laptop during the sales event, which ended on Wednesday and now that price jacked up about by $70... -_-

I'll have to hope that computer either drops in price or... get a better HP laptop that costs about $1400 with a MUCH better processor and a better graphics card. Price difference is about $500-$600 from what I was planning on spending, but I plan on keeping this laptop for a while.

wuchild4eva

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Not quite sure what crossfire means... -_-