What Programming Languages to Learn from Scratch?

Sovereign_Pwner

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Hey Guys :D

Just thought it would be best to ask the community this question as the collective knowledge is generally better then a single man's. ;)

What would be a good programming language to self-learn? Pros and Cons of it.

I'm thinking of learning a language over the next two years before I hit Uni. I have done Basic before and I think it's a brick wall as far as progress is and would be better to learn a slightly more stronger language.

I'm not fussed on what type of programming you guys might suggest, be it Web designing, Desktop apps, or phone app development. I think I can say that I'd like to be able to make 3D games, but how many 16-18 year old guys will say otherwise :p

I'm running Windows 8 Pro on my Laptop/Workstation, and a Nokia Lumia 620 on phone side if you want to suggest anything that requires a certain platform.

Thanks in Advance :)

Solution
Side note, will I be able to make apps using C# for Linux (Ubuntu) and/or Android.
On Linux, there's Mono project (most recent distributions have it in their repositories), and depending on what youe C# application is using, you can run the .EXE straight under Linux. There is an IDE as well, so you can use your C# knowledge under Linux as well.

On Android - there is a project called Xamarin, but I have not used it, and cannot give a "verdict". Check their website for details.

Sovereign_Pwner

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

What are their applications though. What's the payoff rate between learning C++ vs Java, and where do their benifits come to being?

Cheers.

@Sovereign,

C++/Java will be stuffed down your throat in the college anyway, don't go that f*&^ road from the beginning.

If you want to have fun, start with C# - you can even transfer some of the knowledge and play with your Nokia. For C# - get Visual Studio Express Edition, it's free, and pick a book or two on C#.

Sovereign_Pwner

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

What would the main applications of C# be? I'm 75% sure I'm going through with Electrical Engineering at Uni, so not sure if I'll be taking or be able to take computer centred courses.

So C# would be a better language to learn vs Java?

Will I be able to make Metro apps/2d games with Java for use on the phone/computer? (Just as a side thought)

Thanks for the Advice

@Johnadams - don't mix Java with Javascript... Java is going nowhere on the desktop / mobile, and Javascript is completely different animal. Moreover - to develop / use Java one has to install the monsterous JVM...

@Sovereign - C# will be much easier to do on Windows than Java. If you go EE - it will be much easier for you to write small utilities / assignments than in Java. And you will be able to use that knowledge to make Metro / phone apps. Have a look on msdn.com for details.

Sovereign_Pwner

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

Thank you. First person to give reason behind an answer.
Side note, will I be able to make apps using C# for Linux (Ubuntu) and/or Android.
I think I'll do C# unless anyone has 5 cents worth to add to the discussion.

On Linux, there's Mono project (most recent distributions have it in their repositories), and depending on what youe C# application is using, you can run the .EXE straight under Linux. There is an IDE as well, so you can use your C# knowledge under Linux as well.

On Android - there is a project called Xamarin, but I have not used it, and cannot give a "verdict". Check their website for details.

Solution

Sovereign_Pwner

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

I think I'll learn C#
The Mono Project I think allows for Windows Phone, IOS and Android all together while the Xamarin Project seems to only allow Android, IOS and MacOS. Which ones better would you say?
And how do all these IDE's work? Still don't really get that :p
Thanks for helping me choose C# :p :)