What size laptop YOU like?

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Since a laptops size is determined by its display
size....

I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
display? Or maybe 14"?
 

Mike

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
979
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

Two things matter.
The resolution of the display
The quality of your eyes.

I find 1024x768 adequate for most tasks, although I use 1280x1024 on the
desktop. Make sure you will be using the display at it's intended
resolution. You can switch resolution in software, but it's gonna look
horrible. You gotta use the laptop's native resolution.

The better your eyes, the smaller display you can tolerate.
Nobody else can help you determine that.
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
any gaming or graphics editing).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
it's even being discussed!

Notan
 

Mike

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
979
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Notan wrote:
> me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Since a laptops size is determined by its display
>>size....
>>
>>I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
>>IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>>
>>Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
>>display? Or maybe 14"?
>
>
> This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
> it's even being discussed!

Yet you felt compelled to add NOTHING to the discussion.
Sigh...
mike

>
> Notan



--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

mike wrote:
>
> Notan wrote:
> > me@privacy.net wrote:
> >
> >>Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> >>size....
> >>
> >>I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> >>IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
> >>
> >>Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> >>display? Or maybe 14"?
> >
> >
> > This is *such* a subjective topic, I can't believe
> > it's even being discussed!
>
> Yet you felt compelled to add NOTHING to the discussion.
> Sigh...

I added my opinion.

Notan
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
will do.
For editing text, 14" is good size, anything smaller and it's cramped.
For graphics, a high resolution is recommended with 14", but I'd imagine 15
would be better.

I have 14", and it's a good size for prolonged work - I can look at the
screen for a long time before I start yearning for something a little
bigger.

Duncan.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:51dq61hfjv3crdame4iqkfd5omt1adi7bi@4ax.com...
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?
 

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>will do.

How abt for a potential student?

Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:51dq61hfjv3crdame4iqkfd5omt1adi7bi@4ax.com...

> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?

IMHO I think a screen should be big enough to display an A4 sheet of paper
full size.

My screen is slightly more than A4, so allows the usual scroll bars etc.

It is also about the width of the keyboard, so aesthetically a good match.


Number of pixels is an important factor. My laptop has a 1400x1050 screen,
and the first thought is great resolution. Which is handy for reading lots
of text files, but most websites assume 1Kx768 or so, and the text looks
eye-strainingly small. I have to use Firefox to zoom the font to comfortable
size.

Essentially, don't pay for more pixels than you need. DVD isn't huge
resolution, the web assumes medium resolution, and you need a good reason
for high resolution.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?

12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>>will do.
>
> How abt for a potential student?
>
> Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

i'm still waiting for a laptop that can project a 3D hologram of whatever
size i choose (depending on how big my room is) don't need a screen. (:)

--redpill
 

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
548
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I started a business 2 years ago, and ran out and bought a BIG laptop -
Compaq 3030 with 17" widescreen. Nice big keyboard, with a display
that's like a desktop.

Bad mistake for business - can't use it on airplanes when the person in
front of my reclines their seat because the screen is TOO BIG! Since
I fly a lot that's a big deal. Then I discovered that it's too damn heavy
to pack around all day at trade shows in my briefcase.

So the Compaq is now a secondary office computer, and I bought a
Sony Vaio with 10" screen - weighs just a couple of pounds, and I
LOVE IT. It lives in my briefcase, goes 3 hours on a charge, and
I can use it even in tiny airplanes.

So both have their purposes.

Dave

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:51dq61hfjv3crdame4iqkfd5omt1adi7bi@4ax.com...
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Since my laptop is my primary computer, I went with the HP Pavilion
zd7010us which has a 17" WXGA display and a full keyboard (numeric
keypad).

I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer, so I went with
something big enough not to cause eyestrain and high enough
resolution that I could have multiple windows displayed.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly


me@privacy.net wrote:
> Since a laptops size is determined by its display
> size....
>
> I'm curious what size display YOU like in a laptop?
> IOW what size laptop would you buy and why?
>
> Is a 12" display big enough? Or do you like a 10"
> display? Or maybe 14"?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFCbmuM0p5pZd9esrsRApp8AJ4414CCXnZqN/WUZjmxZ9c/yk4MAgCfcUZq
vmX3XFGAKdpnuA8GT65qjYE=
=lo6/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groups
x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:c1uq615vdd07kfa5qmag54g534le3dohic@4ax.com...
> >For reading, and just occasional writing stuff, for not too long, 10-12"
>>will do.
>
> How abt for a potential student?
>
> Someone who may be writing lots of papers and stuff?

Most important thing is to get a good keyboard.

There aren't many 10-12" with a good keyboard.

In terms of screen size, you could just about get away with a 12", but I
would recommend 14", even 15" is preferable.

How much do you have to spend?

Duncan.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>
> I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer

Gee, that's impressive. And to think I complain about sometimes having to
spend 14 or 15 hours a day at the computer!

Regards,

James
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>
> I spend a minimum of 1200hrs a day on the computer

Gee, that's impressive. And to think I complain about sometimes having to
spend 14 or 15 hours a day at the computer!

Regards,

James
 

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>i'm still waiting for a laptop that can project a 3D hologram of whatever
>size i choose (depending on how big my room is) don't need a screen. (:)

That would be way cool!!
 

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Most important thing is to get a good keyboard.
>
>There aren't many 10-12" with a good keyboard.
>
>In terms of screen size, you could just about get away with a 12", but I
>would recommend 14", even 15" is preferable.
>
>How much do you have to spend?

Well Id "like" to keep it under $1000

These things fall in price so much... and technology
changes so fast.... I don't wanna buy cutting edge if I
can avoid it

I'm starting to look at computers as "disposable"
really

I'm just thanking if I really want something
"portable"..... that maybe a 10-12" screen is better
than 14-15"

But.... clearly if one goes for a 10" screen then you
have a keyboard too small to be useful, huh?
 

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I like my 15.4" widescreen. Fits just fine in either a messenger bag or
>backpack and is good enough to replace my home monitor too (I don't do
>any gaming or graphics editing).

What brand/model 15.4" laptop you have?
 

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>12" @ 1024x768, two-spindle is the sweet spot for me. By definition a
>laptop is a portable machine. 12" is a good size.

I'm "thinking" abt either the Dell 600m or 700m

The 600m has a 14.1 " display

The 700m has a 12.1" display
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Laptop General Discussion 12
james80 Laptop General Discussion 3
brdese Laptop General Discussion 2
Lil Miss Amatuer x Laptop General Discussion 5
M Laptop General Discussion 0
aaxx Laptop General Discussion 0
aaxx Laptop General Discussion 4
K Laptop General Discussion 3
nilanjanghosh9 Laptop General Discussion 1
shivajikobardan Laptop General Discussion 1
O Laptop General Discussion 1
Donkey3000 Laptop General Discussion 7
A Laptop General Discussion 0
C Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
Nintenfoxy1983 Laptop General Discussion 0
S Laptop General Discussion 0
gunnwolf Laptop General Discussion 4
scoulomb Laptop General Discussion 3
Ven.s Laptop General Discussion 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY