What to do with old laptop?

ORION85

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Hi guys I've got a 6 year old laptop that stopped working, it was having trouble starting and cut out a lot then it just wouldn't turn on anymore so i thought it might have been the 500gb hard drive finally failing. Acer 5740g
So i built my gaming rig, tried my luck at recovering my old files off of the old hard drive by hooking it up to my new rig and it still span up so i got all my files, scanned and wiped it. It did find and quarantine a virus so must have been that among other things.
That's in my rig until it goes kaput. Crystal disc is giving it a caution for now.

There's no battery in the laptop as I had to replace them way too often ( once a year ) so i used to hook it up direct to the wall.
No hard drive as its in my rig and the keyboard doesn't work.
I'm in east Sussex, united kingdom.

Firstly are there any security measure's i need to take like destroying parts of it that might have data in it bar my hard drive ( i doubt this but i thought id ask ) and what to do with it now I'm not using it?

Any advise, experience and suggestions appreciated.

Solution
With the HDD removed there's nothing on the system holding any data.
Best bet is to just drop it off at your local recycling centre, repairing it will probably be more expensive than grabbing a cheap tablet to replace it.

coozie7

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
With the HDD removed there's nothing on the system holding any data.
Best bet is to just drop it off at your local recycling centre, repairing it will probably be more expensive than grabbing a cheap tablet to replace it.

Solution

ORION85

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Excellent, thank you coozie. Happy nye!