What type of network card should I get?

Nerdtweak

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015
I have just moved into a new house, and there are not many ethernet ports around the rooms to connect to my PC.

I have tried a line adapter, however, it will cut out every few days for hours on end. It's really starting to bug me so I have resorted to a PCI-E network card.

I have selected two which I feel will best suit my needs.

The first one is one that has antennas that spike out the back of my PC. The second one is connected to a cord which leads off to antennas which will sit on top of my desk.

My question is, because I am in quite a secluded area, and my PC is under my desk in the corner (where the antennas will be right against two walls), would it be worth it to get the cabled network card, or the one with the antennas sticking out the back against the walls.

Thanks

Solution
You have a variety of options as I understand your post.

To answer the immediate question:

I would go for the second, cabled network card. The more options/ability you have to move the wireless antenna up and about the better.

However, if the antenna is removable on the first card the manufacturer may offer some extension cable that will also allow the antenna to be raised higher and positioned differently as warranted. Some cards even come with the cable.

Or there could be a third party extension cable that would work as well. The risk there is that its use may negate any warranties or support for the network card.

That said, I would take another look at the power adapters themselves. If the powerline adapters go "out every...
You have a variety of options as I understand your post.

To answer the immediate question:

I would go for the second, cabled network card. The more options/ability you have to move the wireless antenna up and about the better.

However, if the antenna is removable on the first card the manufacturer may offer some extension cable that will also allow the antenna to be raised higher and positioned differently as warranted. Some cards even come with the cable.

Or there could be a third party extension cable that would work as well. The risk there is that its use may negate any warranties or support for the network card.

That said, I would take another look at the power adapters themselves. If the powerline adapters go "out every few days for hours on end" then I would suspect a wiring problem. Something in the new home electrical system perhaps....

Try some additonal testing with it and the ethernet cables you used. Try other circuits, reinstall, check manufacturer's forums and FAQs for similar problems. May the powerline adapters are simply defective.

Or if you need more ethernet ports in any given room just try a small ethernet hub. The hub would plug into ethernet wall outlet and offer 4 ports (can be more) for additional wired devices.

Solution