what type of SSD do I need for my lenovo flex 3?

jimbob2015

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello,
I am getting a lenovo flex 3 and I wanted to ask please what type of SSD HDD do I need. I have read the maintenance manual but I don't see a size. I know the flex 2 was m.2 and I read that there is some padding you need to remove if you get the wrong one I think if I understand it correct. I was going to get the Samsung evo 850 from amazon if that is the correct size. This is the drive

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U

Here is the manual for the flex 3 14 I am getting

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_flex_3_1120_flex_3_1130_hmm_201503.pdf

If the Samsung will not work could you give me the name or link of one that will please? Thank you for the help in picking the correct drive.

Solution
From the manual, that will take a standard 2.5" HDD with a height of 7 mm drive. The Samsung Evo 850 meets that spec. Most of the SSD's I have bought have had a rectangular ring that you can add should you need extra height to fit properly, since they are usually thinner than HDD's. You should have no problems fitting the Evo 850 in there.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
From the manual, that will take a standard 2.5" HDD with a height of 7 mm drive. The Samsung Evo 850 meets that spec. Most of the SSD's I have bought have had a rectangular ring that you can add should you need extra height to fit properly, since they are usually thinner than HDD's. You should have no problems fitting the Evo 850 in there.

Solution

jimbob2015

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Thank you both very much for the help and for explaining the size difference as I didn't know they where thinner and that is why they have the ring to fill in extra space. I am going to go ahead and get the Samsung.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Funny thing... I just built a computer last week and put an SSD in it. I bought it because it was on sale at my local PC store. Just realized it is the 850 EVO. It doesn't come with the ring but that won't matter since you will be attaching a drive cage anyway.

Once you install it, you have to install the Samsung Magician software (ok, you don't HAVE to but you should!!). This software lets you set performance levels, update firmware, and run benchmarks. I recommend running the benchmarks in performance mode, and then reliability mode and compare results. Then turn on RAPID and test again... wow!! Read / write speeds went from +-500 to over 3000 on mine! I will be buying only Samsung SSD's from now on just because of this software. RAPID uses some of your RAM as a cache to further improve performance.

jimbob2015

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Sorry for the late reply. I just got the drive today and installed it in my flex. I was surprised it was a lot easier then i was thinking it would be. I enabled RAPID like you suggested and your right the drive is very fast i love it.

bayingsqi

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
well,The Samsung SSD would fit great, I would stick with it.
6OloU6

vkreddy

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015
hi JIm,

i've a Lenovo Flex3,14". i bought a samsung EVO ssd. I would like to clone the current drive to the new. Did you try that ? I see computer management says the laptop has some weird extra disks in it. i think its a trick from lenovo to stop us from installing our own ssds.

But i dont want to buy & install new windows`10 and all other software on this for a new ssd. do you have a solution for me ???

JD in Albany

Estimable
Oct 26, 2015
Hi vkreddy,

I'm not Jim, but I just installed a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD into my new Lenovo Flex 3 yesterday so I'll share my experiences. I cloned the existing drive with the included migration software and it worked without a hitch (The second time - more on that later). I used a cable that connects the SSD to the laptop via USB3 port (bought this separately)

It was all pretty easy -- installed the software, connected the new SSD via USB, then started the transfer. The included instructions are decent, but if you need a visual guide, there are some videos on YouTube that can walk you through it.

One suggestion: Don't put all ten screws back on before testing the bootup from the new SSD. It'll save you some time if you need to go at it a second time. (The first time I tried, the transfer process hung. Corrupted system on the original HD drive. So I did a factory restore, then before starting the process again, disabled my wifi and anti-virus. After that, it worked fine).

If you have any other questions, or need some guidance with the process, post back and I'll try to help.

JD

vkreddy

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015
Hey JD,

Thanks for the response man.. im now typing this response immediately after installing my EVO SSD.. :B...

wow.. first the software came with ssd dint recognize the drive with my usb3.0 enclosure sets.. then usb2.0 worked but immediately after starting the clone process it was throwing an error saying ssd has been disconnected.. then did some googling on bing.. and found its the ssd software issue.. downloaded latest data migration from site samsung.. installed.. tried.. it worked.. started and finished the process in one sitting.

then removed screws and used my car pry tool on this laptop to open plastic.. screwed up with one internal screw.. it was delicate.. but somehow was able to unscrew other two easily..

installed SSD.. .. and test started.. it worked great...

with the old hdd.. it was 86MBPS & 84 MBPS..
and now, with the new SSD its.. 549MBPS & 523MBPS.. :B : B : B

so.. I've to put back the 10screws that you suggested to wait on..

thanks man.. appreciate the guidance..
--vkreddy