What's the most powerful laptop that one can purchase retail for no more than $400?

topstarterrhp

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Please don't mind screen size, portability or any extras. I'm looking for power and power only (cpu, gpu, ram). You can list whatever type of "laptop" (notebook, netbook, chromebook, hybrid), as long as it provides sufficient power when compared to competitors around that price tag. The reason why I'm asking this question is because every major review website has a different list of most powerful budget laptops, and I fear I will be missing out on something if I rush my purchase. Your answer is more than appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
The following 17.3" HP laptop with an A8-5550m and the integrated Radeon HD 8550g graphics core from bestbuy. It is currently not in stock though. It only comes with one stick of 4GB RAM though so performance will be somewhat limited. In order to take full advantage of the CPU and more importantly the graphics core you need to add another stick of RAM; 4GB preferably.

One stick of RAM means it will be operating in single channel mode which cuts the RAM bandwidth in half. Two sticks of RAM means it will operate in dual channel mode; the full bandwidth. Having only one stick of RAM will probably mean around a 15% performance penalty, maybe as high a 20%. Fortunately, you can add a 2nd stick of RAM later if you cannot afford it now...
The following 17.3" HP laptop with an A8-5550m and the integrated Radeon HD 8550g graphics core from bestbuy. It is currently not in stock though. It only comes with one stick of 4GB RAM though so performance will be somewhat limited. In order to take full advantage of the CPU and more importantly the graphics core you need to add another stick of RAM; 4GB preferably.

One stick of RAM means it will be operating in single channel mode which cuts the RAM bandwidth in half. Two sticks of RAM means it will operate in dual channel mode; the full bandwidth. Having only one stick of RAM will probably mean around a 15% performance penalty, maybe as high a 20%. Fortunately, you can add a 2nd stick of RAM later if you cannot afford it now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pavilion-17-3-laptop-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive/3215015.p?id=1219089114771&skuId=3215015&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=2

Solution

topstarterrhp

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

Thanks for the prompt reply. Also, thanks for thoroughly explaining the RAM stick penalty. It's something I will keep in mind. Unfortunately, It doesn't help that I'm in a hurry and I need to find the best possible laptop in that price range ASAP. Apart from not being in stock, the specs on the laptop you linked show that it comes with the HD 7640G, instead of HD 8550g. That's what's driving me crazy, with desktops I know which parts are better than others, it is more or less standardized, but in the case of laptops I'm finding it very hard to see that standard in GPU's. Anyhow, could you please link another option of somehow similar power around that price range? I would greatly appreciate it.