Whats wrong with my laptop -

debs_8

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
it will power on, tries to start loading microsoft and then starts checking itself for file consistency - does a full disk check - reboots itself and then does the same thing over and over! its been going for 2 hours now! :(

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
most likely a failing hard drive.
Take the drive out and connect it to another system to run some diagnostic software if you have some.

If not take it to your local pc repair shop

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
like plasmastorm said; use for that a docking station or an external enclosure.
You can run checkdisk with the switches /f and /r enabled. Like this:
chkdsk x: /f/r
where x is that drive's letter.
That will fix errors and mark bad sectors not to be used.
Hit us back if you need details.

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Or go to a command prompt and run chkdsk /r on the drive. Upon reboot it should run a thorough scan and attempt to repair any files system issues.

EDIT:House beat me to it!

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think he can get to a command prompt window as it is now. He will probably need to mount the HDD as an external one on another system and do it there.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

He didn't mention if he can enter the boot sequence menu at boot... if he can, then yes, but without that info I assumed the worst case scenario.
I have not used HIREN's BOOT CD yet, I am not familiar with the HDD utilities on that disk. If it supports the switches mentioned, it should be good, but in my experience if I had to choose between a MS-based tool and a third-party, HDD-specific tool (like the ones listed on that CD), I would choose the former. The HDD utilities on that CD are manufacturer-specific, at least most of them.
He can choose any option available that was mentioned on this thread, the more options the better...

Op, let us know how it worked out for you.