what's wrong with this record players speakers?

jdaniel 125

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
i recently found a 1968 sears silver tone record player in my neighbors attic, and it works PERFECTLY. it has a 12 inch subwoofer on both sides, midrange on both sides, and tweeters on both sides.

only problem is, the two tweeters on the right side won't work, I've tried the radio, playing a record, and using my phone with the RCA AUX inputs on the back of the stereo, but the tweeters do not play any sound.

could this be because of age? one of the tweeters on the right side start working when the volume is loud enough, I can hear vocals, but it keeps crackling and fades out every 10 seconds at high volume, I took apart the back of the stereo and there's no sign of damage to both tweeters on the right side, what's the problem?

Solution
Well the first thing to do is process of elimination. Is it the tweaters themselves, or the wiring/amp portion going to it. You could take one of the tweaters from the left side, which you know the speaker works and it's associated amp and wiring, and swap them.
Well the first thing to do is process of elimination. Is it the tweaters themselves, or the wiring/amp portion going to it. You could take one of the tweaters from the left side, which you know the speaker works and it's associated amp and wiring, and swap them.

Solution

jdaniel 125

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
i took off the back wood piece of the record player, and the inside was very clean and original, the tweeters wiring was clean and not damaged, and the tweeters didn't look damaged either, so I played music and felt the tweeters on the left side, both of them vibrated, then I felt the damaged tweeters on the right side and the both of them kept cutting in and out, i don't get what's wrong with them, I guess the speakers foams are going bad. so I'll take one of the left sides tweeters and install it on the right side.