When Google Does Not Make Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
stop being jealous...all google is doing is trying to spread their wings and test what works and what doesn't work....good for them

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I believe that since Google+ is the new (probably well executed) kid in the block it'll be checked out by lots of people, and it's kinda refreshing to have competition here.

We are social beings, so the means to get social over the internet was only a matter of time, so in a sense there is no innovation here by anyone, they all just fulfill a basic need for all of us.
Besides, social networks existed well before Facebook, so they did not innovate as well, it was merely executed better than the other existing social networks, and can be done again.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
As global economies founder and collapse, I hope Google has the sense to get away from an advertising focus. I get a sense that more and more people are finally learning to reject the incessant, nagging, pointless "buy this!" messages for junk that either has become unaffordable or will simply end up in the garbage in a few months.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Chromebooks in my opinion are still not ready for mass consumption; they lack the killer features such as offline office apps and a decent media player. I know its based on the cloud, but theres a basic offline needs a casual user must have to keep their experience a good one.

As for G+, I actually prefer it over Fb. It could use some game and a majority of my friends/the family I care to talk to are on it but the layout seems for natural even if a little primitive.

I believe Google is in a really good position right now; but they need to hurry up with Chromebook support and maintain the innovation they promise with G+; this will be a lot of work, but if anyone can do it its Google.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]I We are social beings, so the means to get social over the internet was only a matter of time, so in a sense there is no innovation here by anyone, they all just fulfill a basic need for all of us.Besides, social networks existed well before Facebook, so they did not innovate as well, it was merely executed better than the other existing social networks, and can be done again.[/citation]

Look at any research documents. Online "social" is actually extremely unsocial.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The problem and strength of Chromebook, is they are cloud devices. With all the uncertainty of working in the cloud with all the recent highly publicized cloud failures (dropbox passwords, psn, sidekick) and the increasing costs of internet use (data caps / tiers) the chromebook may be dead in the water.

pcunix

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Think you missing that G+, the +1 buttons and even the Google News badges are all part of building reputation that will eventually influence search results. These ARE related to Google's core business and if it is all successful, will really put Google on top for search results.

G

[citation][nom]ThE_BrutE[/nom]Look at any research documents. Online "social" is actually extremely unsocial.[/citation]

Agreed, we are connected more than ever, but the older forms of communication are eroding. What is it, 1 in 5 people are dating or marrying people they met online? Instead of buying a girl a drink we just poke them on FB now?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]Chromebooks in my opinion are still not ready for mass consumption; they lack the killer features such as offline office apps and a decent media player. I know its based on the cloud, but theres a basic offline needs a casual user must have to keep their experience a good one.As for G+, I actually prefer it over Fb. It could use some game and a majority of my friends/the family I care to talk to are on it but the layout seems for natural even if a little primitive.I believe Google is in a really good position right now; but they need to hurry up with Chromebook support and maintain the innovation they promise with G+; this will be a lot of work, but if anyone can do it its Google.[/citation]
They'd be better off just developing a version of Android that plays nice with a larger screen, KB+mouse. Android is already well established, it has Chrome, it has a bajillion apps, it can do everything ChromeOS can do and then some. They could make it with a touch screen and a sliding/folding keyboard so it could double as a Android tablet.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]Chromebooks in my opinion are still not ready for mass consumption; they lack the killer features such as offline office apps and a decent media player. I know its based on the cloud, but theres a basic offline needs a casual user must have to keep their experience a good one.As for G+, I actually prefer it over Fb. It could use some game and a majority of my friends/the family I care to talk to are on it but the layout seems for natural even if a little primitive.I believe Google is in a really good position right now; but they need to hurry up with Chromebook support and maintain the innovation they promise with G+; this will be a lot of work, but if anyone can do it its Google.[/citation]

the first day i used facebook i got 100+ emails from facebook spam, that was also the last day i used facebook.

google pluss seams to not have spamy features, and hangouts is the reason i got it.

G

Google have made some very bad decisions.

The main one being giving Android away for free.

If Google had packaged their own phones and sold them like Apple..... they too could be reporting revenue's of 20 Billion+ per quarter.

Worst. Strategic. Decision. Ever.

G

why is there an obvious sense of envy or bias in this article, which is rigorously trying to be hidden? there is absolutely 0 reason to hate on google+ and judging from the lackluster review of features about it, i'd say the owner has failed to even actually try to see what distinguishes it from facebook. it isn't facebook, doesn't do what facebook does, and it doesn't even have a wall. maybe i need to apply for a blogging position because article after article i read seem to be written by terribly misinformed fanboys. i could do that! hangout's is probably indeed google+'s best feature, it's really actually quite phenomenal.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I find it ironic that a large chunk of users here that have pounded Facebook as a unethical corporation and one not to be trusted, is willing to embrace, fully accept and trust the overlord Google has become.

Essentially, such people are proving themselves to be no better than the facebook/Apple sheeps they always call out.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
People dissed Google's Chrome as well, to their chagrin. Never underestimate Google when it comes to innovation. They just don't research it and then sell off the patent the way that IBM does.

belltollsforthee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]stop being jealous...all google is doing is trying to spread their wings and test what works and what doesn't work....good for them[/citation]

did you not read the article? its not jealousy but just reporting with a bit insight.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This article is a guy questioning the potential for profit in many of Google's recent business decisions, not an article to talk trash on Google.

I think there is something to the Google = Microsoft argument. Google has been trying hard for years to avoid seeming like an Evil Giant Corporation. Microsoft has seemed "evil" for quite a while and Facebook does too, but almost everyone seems to still like Google.

There is no way to avoid people feeling controlled (and other negative feelings) by a corporation that size, but Google does its best to seem like a "good" overlord that controls a lot of our lives. To that end, Google constantly invests in projects that have no potential for profit--generally relating to research or charity. It's similar to what Bill Gates does to not seem evil (with his Bill & Melinda funds), except with a corporation, which is much less common.

Releasing Android for free and some of Google's other business decisions are loosely related to a potential for profit, but all intended to integrate Google into our daily routines in a positive light. Google made Gmail awesome back when Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail were limited to 2MB storage (or something ridiculous like that). Now Microsoft regrets the blunder in not realizing the importance of having people signed up for your service. The bottom line is: It's tough to tell what will generate money down the line--all you can tell is what does and doesn't work. Android does. Chrome OS does not. In the meantime, all Google can do is return focus to innovation and make sure not to waste too much money developing dead ends.

Google is doing Microsoft's copycat stuff because it's big and out of ideas. Bing.com was a good idea. I think Google+ is good too. I'm sick of a lot of Facebook's clutter and, although Facebook is much better than Myspace, it's far from perfect. I expect Google+ to do better.

Note: Don't think I'm saying Bill Gates donates money for public opinion--I think he does it to be nice and help because he doesn't need the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.