Where is pre-installed RAM on Alienware M17x R4

schwinn89

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
So I just purchased an Alienware M17x R4 with 6GB of pre-installed RAM because I did not see any point in paying extra for RAM that I could just install myself. I ended up purchasing 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM off of Amazon and when I went to install the 16GB of RAM I was unable to find where the 6GB of pre-installed RAM was located. It does not appear to be located in the same location where I was able to install the 16GB of RAM. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or if I am just not looking in the correct area. Thanks!

cotydlux

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

From experience some laptops require you to remove the keyboard to gain access to the hidden stock RAM. I found this YouTube video by going to Google and typing M17x R4 ram install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62IuvqELh8 :pt1cable:

schwinn89

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I actually just watched that same video last night. I did not know that the pre-installed RAM was under the keyboard though :/. That sounds slightly daunting...

toothslayer

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
So it's a good thing that the pre-installed RAM is under the keyboard. If I add the 16gb under the bottom cover, then that should give me total of 24GB RAM...right?

cotydlux

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I would only mix the ram if they were from the same manufacture and same specs. speed, timing, voltage.
Mixing different types may work (not to full potential) but if I had a nice machine like that, I'd go ahead and do it right.

shankc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Their is 2 slots in the back of the machine and 2 slots under the keyboard I was a bit worried myself at first about removing the keyboard but the manual gives you a step by step guide or their is plenty of Utube videos on doing this. It not as hard as you think

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheAlienJD Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 4
Aksheev Laptop Tech Support 4
M Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 6
M Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 2
lvfeel Laptop Tech Support 1
Lamora Laptop Tech Support 0
O Laptop Tech Support 5