Where's my gpu :(

Sialslagdlabldbq

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Alright so I was having some overheating problems when playing games on m laptop. Even when I'd watch movies, the thing would get crazy hot.
It'll often get hot enough within 20 minutes of playing a game to just shut down.

It never did this when I got it, so I know it's not a problem with hardware capability.

I went out today and grabbed some of that arctic thermal paste, thinking if apply it to the gpu/heat sink.

The laptop is a gateway nv55sh series and has a similar config to a acer 5755 inside.

I finally pull out the mobo and unhook the fan and this thick copper bar that connects the fan to the heat sink below the processor. The copper bit closest to the edge of the case/fan seems blackened.

Anyway I pull that out and the thermal paste isn't dried or anything on top of the processor. It seems fine.

And I can't even find the gpu.
It supposed to have a raedon 6520g in there and I don't see anything with an ati stamp on it, just the a6 processor.

I'll post pics when I figure out how.

Solution
The graphics card is inside the processor. It's an integrated card. Your laptop probably needs some dust cleanup. You might as well install new paste, too. Once you remove the heat sink you have to.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
turkey3_scratch is correct - you have an APU, where your graphics is inside of your CPU. I agree, you should clean off the old thermal paste from the processor and apply new paste. Not too thick. Use isopropyl alcohol to clean it off. Also agree that you likely have a dust issue. Make sure the heatsink, the fan, and the vents are clear of dust, you can use compressed air to clean it out.

The other thing to check is to see if the fan on the laptop was turning on at all. You might have a bad fan, and as you saw, it's relatively simple to take apart.