Which antivirus to trust?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi... :hello:

I am using Quick Heal Internet security 2010 (updated)... it detects a "Trojan Virus" in a file and in a game and deletes it...

The problem is, I scanned the same file and the game with the updated versions of "avast home edition 4.8" , "Kaspersky Internet security 2010" , "Norton Internet security 2010" , "Avira antivirus" , "avg antivirus" , "bit defender", "nod 32" and with "e-scan internet security"...out of which only "e-scan internet security detected" the "Trojan"...

Now I am totally confused... whether should I trust "Quick heal and e-scan" or should I trust the other antiviruses...

I am very confused...... please help me out>>>>>>> :pfff:

Solution
Most of antivirus programs now employ what's called heuristic detection.

Heuristic malware detection can produce alot of false positives depending on the sensitivity of the scanner.

Basically heuristics is like saying "it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... so it must be a duck", where as malware detection of the past (and still does) depended on Virus definition signature files. This meant that the scan detects specific coding, instead of identifying coding which "could" be malicious.

Heuristic detection can and will detect alot of legitimate security tools because they might be designed to grant themselves administrator priveledges or use methods which might circumvent certain operating system security measures.

In your...

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi... :hello:

what is this microsoft security essential thing...Is this more powerful than my Kaspersky Internet security 2010...If yes then tell me its rate and it compatibility with the other OS...

:bounce:

saran008

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Go to that Microsoft link and See about Microsoft Security Essentials :

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

*Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

PS: I afraid that Microsoft Security Essential will run only on Windows(XP/Vista (both 32/64 bit)/Window 7 (both 32&64bit), that too in a geniune version. It won't run in any other OS. :( :)

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hey man... then who is going to use it coz most of the people uses pirated windows and the company knows it too...

But is it more powerful than Kaspersky Internet security 2010....

Please answer me..... :pt1cable:

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Sounds like you guys have a handle on security and I'm wondering if using different security packages on different computers in a home network would cause any problems for me. I have a brand new Win7 computer which came with Norton 2010 installed and I'm pleased with it after about two weeks of use. I have 1.5 Tb storage and I'm not concerned with file space. I'm running an AMD Phenom II x4 955 on an AM3 motherboard with 8 g DDR 3 so speed or lag time is also not a big concern. My other two computers are currently using McAfee which I haven't updated in ages. Believe me, I hate McAfee but couldn't find a way to rid my computers of it. I'd like to update the two older computers with Kaspersky 2010 and I'm wondering if they will work together once I introduce my new computer to my home network. Just for your information Costco has Kaspersky 2010 @ three packages for $19.95. Thats as good as free in my thinking. I appreciate your comments.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I ordered Kaspersky yesterday and should have it later this week. I'll follow your tip using the McAfee removal tool. Will post back with the results. I have two computers needing protection and the package I bought has three copies. If I like it better than Norton I may install it on this machine also.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Thanx for the tip on MCPR.exe. After I uninstalled the McAfee programs under control panel I would have thought I was finished. I was amazed at what the dowloaded program did. Appreciate the information. I'm presently installing Kaspersky on two of my machines.

Jerry

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Neither Avira NOR MBAM detected a virus and something else did?

What was the name of this virus and what caught it?

What 2nd opinion did you get that this was a virus? Did you upload the infected object to virustotal or jotti? Did you run an online scan to confirm your suspicions?

You'd want to hope that you didn't let a false positive sway you away from 2 of the highest rated security apps in their class! And that's from multiple sources, not just my personal opinion.

I agree with Afords sentiments also.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Canuck, I come across your other thread in regards to the virus.

Those rogue antispyware malwares are becoming more and more difficult to combat, they usually cause quite a bit of grief when they attack. I can unerstand your frustration.

As good as MBAM is, the team at malwarebytes.org do have a tough time keeping up. It seems every day there a multitude of new variants, and the malware writers are including programming which denies PC users access to sites that host the application, and in case anyone can get the application they include measures to prevent its install. Because of MBAM's success it appears to be directly targeted by malware. Often the need to run a second tool, or significantly adjust computer settings is required to allow MBAM to run.

As for Avira I think I have seen rogues running along side nearly every AV. The malware writers continually change the way the program looks to AV's and silently run the installers at the highest privelege, administrator.

There is one free tool that would have alerted you of the drive-by install by letting you know of attempted unauthorised changes to your system and that is WinPatrol by BillP Studios. Significant changes of this nature you have to grant permission to. I have used it for years and can't fault it. It is light on resources too. Give it a test run if you're keen.

Had I known the exact nature of the infection I wouldn't have responded as such in the above post so I apologise if it offended. I assumed you found an infected file, not a full blown system compromise.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Is Malwarebytes just for malware, spyware, etc. I guess I should say can it coexist with my Norton Internet Security 2010 and Kaspersky 2010 and would there be any advantage to doing this? Thanx

aford10

Distinguished
The free version of Malwarebytes is simply a scanner. It is very useful in conjunction with a real time AV, such as Norton or Kaspersky.

Personally, I use Avira with Malwarebytes. They are both free, and provide great protection.