Which antivirus? - want low footprint and customizable

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Do you have some recommendations for me for choosing an antivirus product?

It could be a free product or a paid one.

I want it to be (of course) good at detecting threats, it should have such a low memory and CPU footprint as possible and I also want to be able to customize it.

I do not really like the idea of the antivirus program to interfere with everything and almost taking control over the whole system. The product should be configurable by the user to select what things to monitor and actions to take.

Is there any products you could suggest?

Solution
Norton Antivirus.. If you are amazed, i can understand.. they used to be system hogs but post 2009, norton has just got adorable.. Its very light weight on the system but very agile at the same time.. It has a sweet UI and very tweakable.. This comes as a recommendation by use and not just by expert reviews on the net..

Emperus

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Norton Antivirus.. If you are amazed, i can understand.. they used to be system hogs but post 2009, norton has just got adorable.. Its very light weight on the system but very agile at the same time.. It has a sweet UI and very tweakable.. This comes as a recommendation by use and not just by expert reviews on the net..

Solution

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thank you for your response! It sound very good and you are correct that I am surprised. :)

I shall check it out. Do you know the product version for the newer suite you are describing?

Emperus

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Its in version 2010 now.. Am using the Internet Security Suite which includes firewall along with all the regulars.. If you are using windows vista/7, you can get the antivirus alone as the windows firewall is plenty good..

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

It is for a new build which will be running Windows 7, so I might do as you suggest and use the built in firewall.

Do you happen to know an approximate price for end user for just the antivirus component, if you use the product yourself?

Emperus

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I paid around 2300 INR (USD 46 approx) for a 3 user license copy for 1year.. Check out www.norton.com (it'll automatically redirect you to your country website) for information and prices..

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I did check out Norton.com and also downloaded the trial version now. For me it seems to cost about 649 Swedish Kronor for 1 year of the Antivirus product, about $80. Anyway, if it is good then it would be worth it!

Thanks for your help!

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I will do that. The first system to test it on will be a older Win XP sp3, but it should be interestin too.

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Microsoft Security Essentials is free for any legit copy of Windows... very unobtrusive, low resource use, and updates and runs on it's own in the background. It's tweakable and has a simple to use interface. I didn't think Microsoft would make a good anti-virus but I have been pleasantly surprised! Since MS has had legal troubles with anti-trust and whatnot, they don't really advertise it. Just Google Microsoft Security Essentials download.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

That is also a very interesting suggestion. I have not heard about it at all!