Question Which do I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphamale47

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
So I'm looking to upgrade my laptop next month and I'm considering 3 machines: The LG Gram, the Lenovo Legion 7 Slim and the Dell XPS 17. My budget is between $1500 - 1800 and it's basically for internet surfing, light gaming and streaming movies/shows. I don't upgrade often, maybe once every 10 years ...so my main concern is just getting the best all around rig for the money that will be as future proofed as possible. I would prefer 17'' but will take 15'' if it's a much better laptop or deal. I think the Dell XPS is a little out of my price range but there seems to be one on the Dell site under 'Deals' (just not sure if it's 'for real' a decent XPS). Suggestions ...and why you think it's better than the other two?

Reactions: Benjonas9385
I recently bought an XPS17 and it is by far the best machine I've ever had. The sound is great, it's fast and the display is outstanding (and very bright). I did get the 4K display so that will up the price above your range, but it was money well spent.

The potential downsides are it's rather heavy but only a little bigger than the 15" HP I replaced (because the screen bezel is very small. I like the keyboard and the lack of a number pad--which to me throws the keyboard out of balance is a plus. It provides space for great speakers. The battery life is not great but I almost always run it plugged in. The amount of BIOS configurability is great. The touch pad is very large, but works well once you get used to it. No complaints so far. I don't game.

Alphamale47

Honorable
Sep 18, 2015
I recently bought an XPS17 and it is by far the best machine I've ever had. The sound is great, it's fast and the display is outstanding (and very bright). I did get the 4K display so that will up the price above your range, but it was money well spent.

The potential downsides are it's rather heavy but only a little bigger than the 15" HP I replaced (because the screen bezel is very small. I like the keyboard and the lack of a number pad--which to me throws the keyboard out of balance is a plus. It provides space for great speakers. The battery life is not great but I almost always run it plugged in. The amount of BIOS configurability is great. The touch pad is very large, but works well once you get used to it. No complaints so far. I don't game.
What specs did you get on it, and how much did you pay? Dell has this XPS on their website , but I'm wondering if it's a 'barebones' XPS with lesser specs:
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/e447
I DO work for a university so I can get 15% off with their Dell University/School rebate.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
So I'm looking to upgrade my laptop next month and I'm considering 3 machines: The LG Gram, the Lenovo Legion 7 Slim and the Dell XPS 17. My budget is between $1500 - 1800 and it's basically for internet surfing, light gaming and streaming movies/shows. I don't upgrade often, maybe once every 10 years ...so my main concern is just getting the best all around rig for the money that will be as future proofed as possible. I would prefer 17'' but will take 15'' if it's a much better laptop or deal. I think the Dell XPS is a little out of my price range but there seems to be one on the Dell site under 'Deals' (just not sure if it's 'for real' a decent XPS). Suggestions ...and why you think it's better than the other two?

Buy the Dell. It will last longer. Just don't buy it from Dell's website. They will try to rope you in to their stupid warranty program and try to get you extra fees.

May 23, 2022
Choose Lenovo, as its a working machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.