Which Headphones Should I Buy?

Nervly

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hello, fellas. I am in need of help choosing a nice pair of headphones. The following is a template I copy-pasted from a post of mine on reddit and it lists all of my needs.

Budget
Up to 130€ ($160). Can be a little flexible but I really don't want to go over 160€ ($195).

Source
Desktop & Smartphone

Requirements for Isolation
Bit indifferent. I'll use them mainly in my room, alone. Occasionally I'll use them in the bus when on my way to work or when I go out (usually a 30 minute drive). Places I usually attend to that are the noisiest are malls and the subway, so nice isolation would probably be nice for those scenarios.

Will you be using these headphones in public?
Yes, but most of the time I'll use them at home.

Preferred Type of Headphone
Over-Ear or On-Ear. Which ones exactly, I'm still not sure. I don't like headphones that make my ears hurt and overheat after using them. As I said, they'll be used most of the time at home, though I want to bring them to work and when I go out as well, so the size will likely matter.

Preferred tonal balance
No idea, honestly. I'll use them mostly for music and some light gaming and voice-chat. The type of music I listen to will likely help demonstrate. You Are Everything's beats are something I really enjoy listening strong on headphones but I also hate too much bass and especially bassy voices.

Past headphones
Can't remember, I used those really cheap ones that you buy anywhere at $15. Needlessly to say, they were awful. I just want good quality sound, no overheating nor hurting ears.

Preferred Music
These are the types of music I usually listen to the most, the first two more often than the last two genres:

Chillstep:
Yoste - Chihiro
Rameses B - You Are Everything
CMA - You're Not Alone

Indie:
Of Monsters and Men - King and Lionheart
The Lumineers - Ophelia
Sea Fret - Oceans

VGM:
JRPG Soundtracks
Spyro: Year of the Dragon OST
Sonic Unleashed - Endless Possibilities

Celtic:
Vindsvept - Nightfall
Derek Fietcher - Secret of the Elves
Peter Crowley - Spirit of Freedom

What would you like to improve on from your setup?
Nice Design, Medium-Sized (Marshall Major II and JBL E45BT/E55BT are good examples), good sound quality, resistant material, preferably white but not required, no overheating nor hurting ears. I'll likely be using them for 4 to 5 hours straight when at home, 2 when outside. I have preference over bluetooth headphones, though I'd also like the option to connect a cord if I'd so wish to, though this is not strictly necessary.

I live in Portugal, but I have no problems ordering products from Amazon and websites alike, if required, as long as they are from Europe.

Some headphones I've been looking at are the JBL E45BT/E55BT, Marshall Major II Bluetooth, AKG Y50BT, Sennheiser 4.40HD BT/4.50HD BT and AudioTechnica ATH-M50x (although the latter isn't Bluetooth). That should be all the information required but if you have any questions don't hesitate on asking.

Thank you in advance!

lumineZ

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
I am not sure about the prices for this in Portugal but here is some I would recommend for you to listen to if they are in your price range in Portugal.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Studio
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
Sony MDR-1000X
Sony MDR-1000XM2 (same as the above but a newer model with a few more functions but the sound I would say is just the same as the regular 1000X)