Which is better? AMD A8 or Intel Core i5

u8950

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Looking to buy a new laptop. which is better. (trying to choose between 2 specific laptops)
#1-- AMD A8 Series, 8 GB RAM, 2 megabyte Cache, 2.2 gig processor
#2-- Intel Core i5, 6 GB RAM, 3 megabyte Cache, 2.5 gig processor

using mostly for Watching Netflix, Youtube, and online TV with some Photoshop, Illustrator

Will Not be using for Gaming at all
here are the 2 machines I'm considering

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-textured-linear-gradient-grooves-in-black/5657867.p?skuId=5657867

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-110-17acl-17-3-laptop-amd-a8-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5412738.p?skuId=5412738

Solution
I wouldn't call them bugs, but there can be inefficiencies that come with new laptops and their hardware. These will usually be improved with driver and BIOS updates which you will be able to find on HP's site. It usually isn't a good argument to opt for an older, less powerful laptop because of that reason though.

As for bluetooth, your mileage may vary. I don't use bluetooth at all but they are very common devices nowadays. If you have a need for it though, there are USB bluetooth adapters that you can buy for fairly cheap.

For the 2MB cache vs the 3mb cache, it is very quick memory used by a processor to do certain instructions. It can be hard to say how much it will help a laptop, but more is better, and in this comparison the i5...

u8950

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

u8950

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I would choose the HP i5. It features the new Kaby lake processor which is a recent release. While the AMD processor is also a recent release, it is still running on old architecture that will hamper its performance.

Also looking in specs the HP claims 7.5 hours of battery life vs the Lenovo's 4.5 hours. Take it with a grain of salt, but if you are looking to lug around your new laptop that will make a difference. I just wish the HP came with 8GB of RAM because 8GB is a sweet spot.

u8950

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Thanks Musen.
your info was very helpful...
not too concerned with battery life.. will use a cord 98% of time
when you say "Recent Release" could that be a bad thing? being recent/new -are all the bugs worked out?
I do like (for the same price) the 8gb and bluetooth (not sure why)
Does the HP 3mb cache vs 2 for the lenovo be considered?

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I wouldn't call them bugs, but there can be inefficiencies that come with new laptops and their hardware. These will usually be improved with driver and BIOS updates which you will be able to find on HP's site. It usually isn't a good argument to opt for an older, less powerful laptop because of that reason though.

As for bluetooth, your mileage may vary. I don't use bluetooth at all but they are very common devices nowadays. If you have a need for it though, there are USB bluetooth adapters that you can buy for fairly cheap.

For the 2MB cache vs the 3mb cache, it is very quick memory used by a processor to do certain instructions. It can be hard to say how much it will help a laptop, but more is better, and in this comparison the i5 is better all around compared to the A8 processor.

Solution

u8950

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for the info... it really helped (honestly it really did)
i went back to look at the 2 machines, and i stumbled upon this one...
its only $6 more than the other two $455 v $449
and its the best of both worlds.
Lenovo, Intel Core i5, 8gb ram, 3 mb cache, etc etc

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-300-17isk-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5450865.p?skuId=5450865

i dont see why i wouldnt buy this machine. seems like it takes all the best from both and combine into 1 for only $6 more

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Plus it seems to be fairly well reviewed. The only downside is that the processor is one generation older being a i5-6200U, and the HP being an I5-7200U, but one generation gap, especially this one, won't make a huge difference. The only caveat is that if you are interested in streaming 4K from Netflix only the 7000 series processors will currently be able to do that, although it has not been tested yet so we don't know how well it would work, especially on a laptop in this price range.

Pros for the Lenovo I5
1. Bluetooth
2. 8 GB of RAM
3. Well reviewed on Best Buy

Pros for HP I5
1. Newer processor
2. Better battery life at advertised at 7.5 hours, lenovo 4.5 hours
3. A little bit lighter, .8lb

For me I would still take the HP because I want the laptop to be as light as possible and battery life, but because you plan to use it mostly plugged in so that point is moot. Other than that you are going to have to make a decision as the choice is not very clear cut here.