Which laptop: ACER v3 or Lenovo Z580?

Wazilla

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hey all,

I'm about to move to China for work and I need to invest in a reasonably priced laptop as I currently don't own one. At the moment I'm torn between these two:

Acer S3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-15-6-inch-Integrated-Graphics-Windows/dp/B00AW6Z5MU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1372555844&sr=1-1&keywords=acer+v3+i7), and
Lenovo Z580 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-15-6-inch-Laptop-White/dp/B00BG4UOD2/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1372555877&sr=1-7&keywords=lenovo+i7)

I intend to use the laptop mainly for Office and class presentations, as well as listen to music, video streaming etc. I don't do much online gaming so right now I'm more inclined towards the Lenovo due to its cool design and I've heard the sound quality is better, however my brother has Skyrim he said he can install for me so it would be nice to be able to play that and other similar offline games like Fall Out.

I've noticed that Lenovo is dual core while the Acer is quad-core. So, considering my intended use, do you reckon it's necessary for me to go for a higher-specced but lame-looking V3 or should I go for the Lenovo? If neither are suitable and you guys can recommend a better laptop then my budget is £500. Thanks!

ayushde

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Though both the laptops will be great for your office work. But neither will be good at gaming due to lack of a discrete gpu. However you can run skyrim with the integrated graphics at low settings.
BTW I would choose the acer one since it costs the same but has a quad core cpu and will be much future proof for all productivity tasks.

Momo Iko

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

even tho lenovo is still in dual core, its still indeed a better latop overall *my opinion ( In fact there is no huge different between dual core and quad-core anyway, if your main use is for editing video professionally then i suugest you to use quad core, but if its mainly for office then its better using dual core *dual qore with higher GHZ and is still much better than quad core imo ) and the OP said he need latop mainly for office. lenovo has harddisk 1TB while Acer only 750 GB, also, lenovo has a better batery life than acer, and don't forget about the design.

in the end it comes down to our preferences and taste :)