Which laptop better for video and photos editing?

janja11

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I am so gutted. Which laptop to buy for video and photos editing. First i7-7500, Nvidia GTX 950M GDDR5 2GB or i7-6700HQ 6M cahe, nvidia gtx 950M 4GB DDR3. Both have 256 ssd and 1TB. First has 3cell batery and second one 4 cell. I will have elecricity so I think this is not a big deal or?

Thx for advice.
Simona

Solution
Either one should be fine. Of course the laptop with quad core i5 / i7 CPU and the GTX 950m + 4GB VRAM will provide better performance. However, the one with dual core i5 / i7 and the GTX 950m + 2GB VRAM is capable enough of doing video and photo editing. After all, a lot of people use MacBook Pros for the exact same thing and they only have dual core CPUs and integrated graphics. It think it was only recently with the 2017 MacBook Pros that Apple started to use quad core CPUs. If performance matters a lot to you then get the higher end Asus. If you are budget conscience, then get the lower end Asus.

The GTX 950m is not powerful enough to make use of more than 2GB of VRAM for RAM in games. You would typically need more than 2GB of...
the 1st one have a weaker processor (i7-7500U) but a slightly faster card.the 2nd one have a faster cpu but a slightly slower version of the card.i would go for the 1st choice just because the gpu have a faster memory module (gddr5).

janja11

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Which specific laptops? And how important is color accuracy?

A laptop with a powerful quad core CPU and powerful gaming GPU, but only has a screen that is something like 68% sRGB and 70% Adobe RGB is likely to be worthless if color accuracy is extremely important.

janja11

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Yes I know all of these. If I wanted computer I would invest into the best component. But I am looking something that I still can carry around as I travel a lot. Ultrabooks are light but they are not good for editing.
I am looking something in the middle range. First one is Asus Zenbook UX510UX and second one is Asus N552VX-FY209TS.

I was just asking if anyone know which is better laptop, better to go after CPU or GPU. I know both are important!! But I need to choose between those too. :I

Thanks for the help.

Either one should be fine. Of course the laptop with quad core i5 / i7 CPU and the GTX 950m + 4GB VRAM will provide better performance. However, the one with dual core i5 / i7 and the GTX 950m + 2GB VRAM is capable enough of doing video and photo editing. After all, a lot of people use MacBook Pros for the exact same thing and they only have dual core CPUs and integrated graphics. It think it was only recently with the 2017 MacBook Pros that Apple started to use quad core CPUs. If performance matters a lot to you then get the higher end Asus. If you are budget conscience, then get the lower end Asus.

The GTX 950m is not powerful enough to make use of more than 2GB of VRAM for RAM in games. You would typically need more than 2GB of VRAM if you want to play games at ultra high settings which the GTX 950m is not powerful enough to do so. CUDA cores in nVidia GPUs can be used to improve video editing performance as long as the software used can take advantage of CUDA cores. Do not not believe the amount of VRAM has any significant effect on performance.

However, photo editing can eat up at lot of system RAM depending on the size of the project and number of filters / effects you are using. Therefore, you should shoot for at least 16GB of RM.

Solution
It depends on how much performance you need. Dual core cpus are fine you are doing basic video and image video editing. Its when you have a large collection of videos you need to edit that the cpu starts slowing down.

Image editing is less intense but its still important to look at the cpu.

Finally look if the software specs to see what is more important. Also take into account the storage speeds as this matters a lot in this field.