which Laptop should I buy? Please advise!!

HaVoKZoR

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Hi, I'm probably going to be in the market for a laptop quite soon. I want something that I can do all the basic stuff on (web browsing, movie watching etc.) some light multi-tasking and playing some video games. Mainly I want to be able to play WoW but I do sometimes venture on to games such as CS:GO etc..
I would like to run them as high as possible graphic wise but it's not a must have as I understand the limitations with my 'budget'.

In terms of my budget it's only down to what I would prefer to spend considering what it would be used for and the fact I have a mid/high desktop rig.
So I am looking at £600 - £800.

I have so far shortlisted a couple of laptops -

The Acer V Nitro : VN7-592G
(Both 2GB & 4GB gpu version available but they are ex-case display models / cancellations).

The Acer Aspire V15. (New)

The Dell Inspiron 7567. (Which does seem to have the best GPU but I would have to import it from the states so warranty would be next to none)

Input on the listed models would be great and also picking a winner.
Also.. Any other ones in that price range that I may of overlooked or suggestions to great deals even if they are a bit more cash.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Let's see...

a) Assuming you're open to going beyond £800; and
b) Going by your original info as to what you're going to do ("basic stuff" and "playing some video games"); and
c) Looking at the game titles you mentioned, then:

I would say EITHER go with one of the dual-cores mentioned earlier (the Kaby Lake HP Pavilion), OR go 'big' and get a quad-core and a good 4GB GPU (the Dell Inspiron 7567 with the GTX 1050 card). This web page allows you to pit the most popular GPUs against each other:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-950M-vs-Intel-HD-620-Mobile-Kaby-Lake/m27713vsm153579

While the 950M is better than the HD 620 (I was a bit dismissive earlier) I'm still surprised the difference isn't greater than shown on this...
Your games can be played with an Intel HD 620 IGP, possibly even the HD 520. You'd need a 2GB GTX 960 to improve on the HD 620. So let's look at a few laptops with IGPs in your price range (-ish):

1. http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-x360-13-u111na-convertible-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-13-3-full-hd-touch-screen-natural-silver/p3158371
It's only 13.3" but with a Kaby Lake i7 you get the HD 620 IGP which is powerful enough to play WoW and CS:GO. Add to that the convertible design that will make watching movies and surfing the net a much more practical proposition compared with larger screen sizes. Battery life is listed at 10 hours and it weighs 1.58 kg. At £850 it's somewhat more than you stated, but it does offer sufficient power and good practicality.

2. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6729897
Specs are similar to the HP above but it's priced at £650.

Finally, if you insist on a dedicated GPU, there's this Acer Aspire from Amazon UK:
3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-i5-7200u-GeForce-Windows/dp/B01MXT3RHV/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487604194&sr=1-2

You get a 4GB GTX 950M card and a Kaby Lake i5 CPU. Storage is 256GBs/SSD and 1TB/HDD. While it may seem a bargain, be aware that it comes with a TN panel and it weighs 2.3 kg. Battery life has been tested at 6 hours by laptopmag.com.

About the Dell Inspiron 15 7567: You can get this model from Dell UK for £899. Even in its base version you get a Kaby Lake i5, a 256GB SSD and a 4GB GTX 1050 card. The panel is TN, weight is 2.7 kg and battery life has been tested at around 5 hours. You could consider this a 'long-term commitment' i.e. save up for some future upgrades (definitely an IPS panel). If you do, you'll end up with a very capable and great-looking gaming laptop that will expand your gaming options significantly.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

HaVoKZoR

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Thanks for the answer, I would prefer dedicated GPU. I want to try and get the best graphical performance I can for the ££.
I don't know too much about Laptops and the hardware with them but a HQ chip (like the ones in my shortlist) is better than a U chip? More cores = better right?

This is the one I am pulled towards http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-V-Nitro-VN7-592G-Gaming-Laptop-Intel-i5-16GB-1TB-128GB-SSD-Black-Edition/322362535895?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41397%26meid%3D64a585f4a45947beb67da93a48148198%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D201816850988

But they are cancelled stock etc..

Quad-cores are used in gaming computers and (some) workstations. While they do provide more 'power' they also use more energy and emit more heat. Dual-cores are typically used in notebooks, 2-in-1 notebooks and ultrabooks. These types of computer are primarily designed for standard entertainment/web browsing and light productivity. Dual-cores also offer superior battery life, which is generally what mainstream users appreciate more than outright computing 'power'. So it's really a question of what you're going to do with the computer.

Going by your background info, I'd still say you'd be perfectly OK with a dual-core (lighter computer with better battery life), but if you want to play more demanding games in the future, you're obviously going to need a quad-core.

I can understand why you had your mind set on the Acer on eBay, but it's no longer available. I could only find one on Amazon US and it was new ($1,009).

HaVoKZoR

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Keeping with the theme that I would want to go for an independent GPU, would it be worth opting for a 4gb card (at additional cost) or going with a 2gb card? I have read mixed comments as to if mid-range laptops actually have the use of the full 4gb and to instead put the money into a SSD instead (which I wan't regardless).

Again thank you for your knowledge and input !

Let's see...

a) Assuming you're open to going beyond £800; and
b) Going by your original info as to what you're going to do ("basic stuff" and "playing some video games"); and
c) Looking at the game titles you mentioned, then:

I would say EITHER go with one of the dual-cores mentioned earlier (the Kaby Lake HP Pavilion), OR go 'big' and get a quad-core and a good 4GB GPU (the Dell Inspiron 7567 with the GTX 1050 card). This web page allows you to pit the most popular GPUs against each other:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-950M-vs-Intel-HD-620-Mobile-Kaby-Lake/m27713vsm153579

While the 950M is better than the HD 620 (I was a bit dismissive earlier) I'm still surprised the difference isn't greater than shown on this site. If you do a similar test with the 950M and the 1050M cards I dare say the difference makes up for the extra £100 for the Dell.

I know it's easy for me to be a big spender with your money, but even at £900 I'm leaning towards the Dell Inspiron: It's a quad-core machine with a superior, dedicated GPU card, and the TN panel (the only weak point) can be upgraded later on. You can't upgrade the GPU in the machines on the Scan.co.uk list.

I hope I haven't made matters worse,
GreyCatz.

Solution

HaVoKZoR

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Not at all! I appreciate any and all help and feedback!
I found a great ASUS ROG one before which I think would fit the bill. I have used a lot of Asus parts before in my desktop rig and it is the mobo I use now so I have faith in the product. Ive never really liked dell but from I understand their laptops are amongst the top. I am a few months away yet from purchasing probably so I will keep my eyes open for the ones youve mentioned and if there is a deal I may just grab one!

Many thanks