Which laptop to buy?

Deminem

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
HI I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I've narrowed it down to two. One has a better GPU and one has a SSD Drive. These are the links to the two.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/notebooks/componentview.asp?partid=20096

and

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/notebooks/componentview.asp?partid=19825

Which of these would be the better choice? I'm not a hardout gamer but I do like playing games on pretty high settings but I also want the pc to be quick when in regular use. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

matty4eva3

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hi Denminem,

Just a few questions how important is battery life to you? Are you planning on using eternal screens with the laptop?
I have a laptop with the Gxt765m in and it runs the newest games on medium to high resolution. If you go with the Gt60 I would suggest upgrading to 16gb's of ram as 8 might bottle neck the gtx770m. AS for the SSD I do not know a lot about these and o not have one in my laptop so I am unable to tell you how much of a difference this makes to the general speed of the laptop. I would suggest the ssd may speed up the loading time for games.

Hope this helps

Deminem

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Hey Matty

Thanks for your response, I'm not too concerned about battery life as I'll have it plugged in most of the time and I wont be using any external screens with it.

The SSD is my dilemma, I'd like the faster graphics but basically if the GTX765 is going to handle all my requirements then I'd prefer the SSD but if the GTX770 will provide noticeably better performance then I'd have to consider it.

I should also note I've never had a high performance laptop so I'm used to running games on low to medium settings.

Deminem

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I've had a look at a few comparisons and the GTX770 is far better than the GTX765 so gaming would get that boost. The only question is how much would an SSD drive affect both gaming performance and also normal computer running. Windows 8 isn't that great and I've read that having an SSD drive can significantly speed up regular running especially with Windows 8. I've been using notebook check a lot, I was looking at a model that had an AMD HD970 GPU which is awesome but only a AMD A10 5750M CPU so it kicked ass in gaming (unless the game was CPU intensive) but struggled a bit with everything else.

matty4eva3

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
yea before I made my purchase I was thinking the same things but ended up buying from Ozzie which made my mind up for me. I think the thing to do would be to find out if the SSD still speeds your system up when things are written to the second hard disk. Because the SSD is only 128gb it means it will hold your OS and not a lot more. If my thinking is correct that means quick start and execution of programs on the SSD but then everything else at normal speeds. So unless your not planning to have a lot on the laptop it may not be that much of an advantage.

Deminem

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I don't really keep much on my laptop and there would be plenty of room for games with everything else not related to running the laptop on the second hard drive. Whats assize?

matty4eva3

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Ha ha ops that was a failed attempt at writing Australia lol how did I end up with that . The reason I bought from Australia is that they have companies where you can customize your laptop and they are at a good price to. Any way it sounds as though you should get the GTX765m and ssd unless you want to be playing on med-high setting
in about 3 years time as the 765m will probably only be doing low to med by then.

Deminem

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I was thinking it must be some sorta online store or something, that makes more sense tho! I think by the time I've had it three years I probably will have broken it or be ready for a new one haha. I'll talk to a couple of people who know computers and see what they think too.