Which lens for Pentax *ist DS?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm considering buying the Pentax *ist DS body and was wondering which lens to get.

For about AU$1300 i can get that camera with a Sigma 18-125mm lens, or for
similar money with a Sigma 18-55mm lens.

I'm more than happy to buy a lens from eBay if it will save me a bit of money,
because I can get the body by itself.

Would the Sigma 18-125mm be worse than the Sigma 18-55mm in terms of image
quality at 18mm? And what about at 55mm?

Thanks for any help.
--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in
news:5iavqc.42m.ln@192.168.11.2:

> I'm considering buying the Pentax *ist DS body and was wondering which
> lens to get.
>
> For about AU$1300 i can get that camera with a Sigma 18-125mm lens, or
> for similar money with a Sigma 18-55mm lens.
>
> I'm more than happy to buy a lens from eBay if it will save me a bit
> of money, because I can get the body by itself.
>
> Would the Sigma 18-125mm be worse than the Sigma 18-55mm in terms of
> image quality at 18mm? And what about at 55mm?
>

At least here in Sweden you get a Pentax FAJ 18-35 mm lens
almost for free ($100) if you buy the Pentax DS. It is
a very good and small lens. That's what I would include.

OK - it is neither 55 nor 125 mm at the max focal length.
But - thats what I would buy nevertheless.


/Roland
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Ben, Hi from Canberra, I got mine with the 18-55 and the 55-200, I almost
got the 18-125 and then a 100-300 but am happy with the choices I made.

Cheers.

Pete D

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
news:5iavqc.42m.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering buying the Pentax *ist DS body and was wondering which
> lens to get.
>
> For about AU$1300 i can get that camera with a Sigma 18-125mm lens, or for
> similar money with a Sigma 18-55mm lens.
>
> I'm more than happy to buy a lens from eBay if it will save me a bit of
> money, because I can get the body by itself.
>
> Would the Sigma 18-125mm be worse than the Sigma 18-55mm in terms of image
> quality at 18mm? And what about at 55mm?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> --
> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>
> My Digital World:
> Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
> Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>
> Disclaimer:
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
> neither
> given nor endorsed by it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Roland Karlsson <roland_dot_karlsson@bonetmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns95CF36EA67F1klotjohan@130.133.1.4:

> At least here in Sweden you get a Pentax FAJ 18-35 mm lens
> almost for free ($100) if you buy the Pentax DS. It is
> a very good and small lens. That's what I would include.
>
> OK - it is neither 55 nor 125 mm at the max focal length.
> But - thats what I would buy nevertheless.
>
>

Oops - it hall be Pentax FAJ 18-55.

So - it is the same as the Sigma 18-55.

OK - then it is a 100% no brainer for me.
The small and compact and good Pentax FAJ 18-55
would be my choice.


/Roland
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
news:5iavqc.42m.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering buying the Pentax *ist DS body and was wondering which
> lens to get.
>
> For about AU$1300 i can get that camera with a Sigma 18-125mm lens, or for
> similar money with a Sigma 18-55mm lens.
>
> I'm more than happy to buy a lens from eBay if it will save me a bit of
> money, because I can get the body by itself.
>
> Would the Sigma 18-125mm be worse than the Sigma 18-55mm in terms of image
> quality at 18mm? And what about at 55mm?
>
> Thanks for any help.

The Pentax kit lens, 18-55mm- an extremely well put together little lens.

--
Martin Francis http://www.sixbysix.co.uk
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for it will say both no, and yes, and
no, and yes...."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

On 29 Dec 2004 23:32:51 GMT, Roland Karlsson wrote:

> Roland Karlsson <roland_dot_karlsson@bonetmail.com> wrote in
> news:Xns95CF36EA67F1klotjohan@130.133.1.4:
>
>> At least here in Sweden you get a Pentax FAJ 18-35 mm lens
>> almost for free ($100) if you buy the Pentax DS. It is
>> a very good and small lens. That's what I would include.
>>
>> OK - it is neither 55 nor 125 mm at the max focal length.
>> But - thats what I would buy nevertheless.
>>
>>
>
> Oops - it hall be Pentax FAJ 18-55.
>
> So - it is the same as the Sigma 18-55.
>
> OK - then it is a 100% no brainer for me.
> The small and compact and good Pentax FAJ 18-55
> would be my choice.

Especially when the Sigma is 18-50, not 55. I got the "kit" Pentax 18-55
lens with a DS - I couldn't get body-only in the UK - but I have no regrets
at all. A remarkably good lens for the price, as you say - a no-brainer.

--
John Bean

Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the
world that just don't add up (James Magary)
 

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
277
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Roland Karlsson wrote:

> At least here in Sweden you get a Pentax FAJ 18-35 mm lens
> almost for free ($100) if you buy the Pentax DS. It is
> a very good and small lens. That's what I would include.
>
> OK - it is neither 55 nor 125 mm at the max focal length.
> But - thats what I would buy nevertheless.

The Pentax distributors in Oz also distribute Sigma lenses, guess which
are more profitable :-(

IOW It's rare to see any Pentax equipment bundled with Pentax lenses here.

Rob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,aus.photo (More info?)

Rob <audiobANTISPAM@ozemail.com.au> wrote in
news:41d3497f$0$21874$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au:

> The Pentax distributors in Oz also distribute Sigma lenses, guess
> which are more profitable :-(

There are lots of the Sigma lens bundles here also. It is a
shame - because they are not much cheaper. They are just more
profitable for the shop.

> IOW It's rare to see any Pentax equipment bundled with Pentax lenses
> here.

That's a pity.


/Roland
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I bought tha camera with the 16-45/4 AL ED lens. It is quite big though.
And so far I have hardly used it, not because of the size, but because
the FA 50/1.4 becomes a perfect portrait lens with a really shallow
depth of field, also great for low light photo. I am planning to put on
the 16-45 today, to test it a bit more. The 16 corresponds to 24, which
is my favourite wide angle size. My point with this is that with the SLR
you have again a possibility for low light photo, and to get a small
depth of field, for this you need a huge aperture. I would strongly
recommend everyone not already owning the 50/1.4 to get one. Top optical
uality for little money.

/Q

Ben Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering buying the Pentax *ist DS body and was wondering which
> lens to get.
>
> For about AU$1300 i can get that camera with a Sigma 18-125mm lens, or
> for similar money with a Sigma 18-55mm lens.
>
> I'm more than happy to buy a lens from eBay if it will save me a bit of
> money, because I can get the body by itself.
>
> Would the Sigma 18-125mm be worse than the Sigma 18-55mm in terms of
> image quality at 18mm? And what about at 55mm?
>
> Thanks for any help.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS