Which of these two laptops for gaming ?

Balsha

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
Greetings ! I ran into a bit of trouble, i cant really decide between 2 laptops, Im primarily going to use it for gaming. Especially games like CS:GO and LoL, maybe some photoshop stuff. So my question is, which one would you go for and how many FPS can i potentially reach on the games mentioned above ? Currently MSI has the edge for me, mainly because of the display, but i may get an external monitor aswell if needed, so I'd like to hear your opinions.

1st option : Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70 Black
specs :
Intel Core i7 4710HQ Haswell
15.6" LED 1920x1080
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
SSHD 1TB 5400 rpm + 8GB cache

2nd option : MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro
specs : Intel Core i7 4710HQ Haswell
17.3" LED 1920x1080
RAM 8GB DDR3L
HDD 1TB 7200
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
They are pretty close with the same CPU, and the same GPU (although Lenovo has double the video RAM).

You did not list the system RAM for the Lenovo.

While they both have 1 TB hard drives, it looks like the Lenovo has 8 GB of integrated flash, but this is not even enough for Windows so I don't think this will change the performance all that much.

In the end, this comes down to a 17" vs a 15" display. Realize that 17" displays on notebooks are great for machines that are set up once and home and not moved, and pretty much painful if you want them to be regularly moved. It all depends on your usage scenario.

In terms of brands, I have owned both MSI and Lenovo, and they both have stood up to regular usage across years with no issues.

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there it really depends on what your gonna play as digitaldoc stated the lenovo has better vram for gaming but you also should look at upgrade ability they both have 8gb of ram but they can be upgraded to 16gb and how about cooling? cause if your gonna be playing games which one has better cooling and will get less hot i have hard MSI makes good laptops never owned and i have never owned a lenovo either whats your budget? because i just looked up the msi ge70 on newegg.com and its going for 1,149$ i myself just bought a MSI ge62 2015 model with a gtx96m 2gb vram for 1,299$ i also would like to point out that newegg.com has the MSI GT70 for only 1,199$ it has the I7 4800 as opposed the 4700 on the ge70 and the GT70 also has a better video card with 3gb of vram. as digitaldoc also said 17inch laptops are kinda meant to replace desktops you dont really wanna carry those things around or try because they get heavy after awhile. hope this helps good luck with your search

Balsha

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

Hi ! I really appreciate your reply, im mostly going to be using the notebook both on the move and for home usage, so i guess i'll just go with the 15,6 inch option, the last question i have, is there a possibility to plug in an external monitor (120 or 144hz one) into either of those notebooks ? Or do their video ports only handle 60hz ?

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hey balsa both the lenovo y50 and ge70 apache have hdmi ports so you can hook them up to a monitor and i think most laptops only support 60hz out hope this helps