Which smartphone is best for making phone calls?

AleksanderS

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I often get frustrated when trying to answer a phone when driving a car. Yes, it's against traffic code, and there is plenty of auxiliary equipment available for drivers to facilitate calling, but what if you just happen to answer/make a call and have nothing but your phone at the moment. My Xperia J is a disaster in that respect, with lags lasting half a minute or more. Could you recommend a smartphone that takes this basic function seriously.

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK, I'm going to be 'that guy'.

Hang up the damn phone and drive the car. There is no phone call that you need to receive while driving that is worth my life.
Period.

Now that we have that out of the way - It's a phone. It should answer a damn phone call. If it doesn't, you bought a sucky device.

BwYfdzB.jpg

I'll give you one guess as to what the license plate says.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
My wife and I were not hurt, but we got crunched a couple years ago by some drone yammering on her cell phone. You are controlling a 2K-4K pound hunk of metal and plastic at high speeds, that is capable of doing a lot of damage, and bringing serious injury or death to any in its path; you need to maintain control of that path. Hang up the phone and drive.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I wound up upside down, hanging from the seatbelt, covered in broken windshield glass.
The other driver had a full 10 seconds of redlight, looking at her iShiny and not looking out the window. Ran the redlight and hit me broadside at 55+mph.

Thankfully, the truck cab and seatbelt did its thing, I crawled out, 99.5% unhurt. My truck, OTOH....:no:

derfer

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Look, You all got sidetracked by the fact he was using a phone while driving and that needed to be said .... BUT no one has answered the question. Which phone has the best call reception, clarity so that my aging ears can actually hear most of the conversation? I phone and text for business and these are the services I need to be at the top of their game and most smart phones I've used over the last 18 months are crap at this. Signal Quality, Signal strength, Clarity of voice calls, qwerty keyboard for texting, Bluetooth & battery life. These are the 6 most important things to me, everything else is peripheral. ANY SUGGESTIONS ???? I'm in a rural area in the UK 2G & 3G is fairly widely available 4G not so much. Thanks.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The 'question' was "I often get frustrated when trying to answer a phone when driving a car. "
That's where the conversation went.

If you have a question about what cell phone has the best reception, please open a new thread on that.