White iPhone 4 Hitting Best Buy This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Whatever happened to those iPad2's Best Buy wasn't selling? Did they think we'd just forget?

Anyway, I think the white points out how much of the device is NOT screen. Black at least made it a little ambiguous until the phone was turned on. There's too much space above and below the screen. Common problem for phones, but that white iPhone looks like bad.

G

> The employee supposedly provided documentation (via screenshots) proving the
> Wednesday launch.

A doctored PhotoShop "screen shot" proves the launch date????

How does that work?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I don't get it, it took so long to get a simple colour change from black to white?
Did they have to build a whole new factory or something?

What am I missing here?
Is this a marketing strategy?

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't get it, it took so long to get a simple colour change from black to white?Did they have to build a whole new factory or something?What am I missing here?Is this a marketing strategy?[/citation]
It was reported by Tom’s, and others, some time back that for some reason camera images were blurred when taken with the white iPhone. Why? I don’t know. I’m not a big photo guy. I guess it has to do with the way the light bounces off the white case, but then again they do sell iPhone cases in white that have no problems like this that I know of.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't get it, it took so long to get a simple colour change from black to white?Did they have to build a whole new factory or something?What am I missing here?Is this a marketing strategy?[/citation]

I don't know exactly what the problem is with the making of a white iphone, but having worked for many years in an industry that relies heavily on color, I do know that white is the most difficult color to work with. Red and yellow tend to be problematic also. Black is the easiest color to work with. That's probably one of the reasons so many things are black these days. Black tends to be much cheaper to use and has less inherent problems.

---Max

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I have to admit, I find it amusing that there is a news article for a simple color change on one phone on the market. lol

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I have to admit, I find it amusing that there is a news article for a simple color change on one phone on the market. lol[/citation]
Heathen! It's not one phone, it's THE phone, it's teh freakin Jesus Phone!!1

But seriously, I think it's stupid too, but this IS iToms.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Everything is degrading.... I remember, 8 years ago 90% of the phones had changeable panels. Nowadays a different colour of the phone counts as a new model. I guess that's what Apple considers to be "innovative" - going back in time.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Maybe the real problem was that Apple had to create a buzz about the new color to get people excited about the iphone again. I can't see any reason to get this phone unless I lost or damaged my old iphone4...which i don't have anyway.

G

Of course all of you dopes saying "what's the big deal about releasing a white phone", don't understand the engineering complexities involved with a white phone body. As pointed out by okibrian, a white phone body, actually made the camera produce poor quality photos. A lot of re-engineering and testing had to be done to get it working up to the standard that iphone users expect. This was no easy task, and other phone/camera manufacturers will likely hit the same issue for their devices (which may be why we see so few out-of-the-box phones in white).

Status
Not open for further replies.