WHO: Cell Phones Linked to Brain Cancer, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santimun

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not surprised really. Thats why for the past few years I do most of my calls with my headphones connected to my phone. I would use bluetooth but those eat up batteries to make it really worth it.

Lets hope this gets disproven, otherwise, who should we blame for allowing this technology to be put out into the market without more testing and at the very least, more warnings and cautions?

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I'm worried about ball cancer... I keep my phone in my pocket... :(

For those of you who are curious to know:

"Publication of the results of the 30 million dollar investigation has been delayed because of disagreements over the best way to present the conclusions, but the findings have been submitted and are expected to be published within the next few months. "

-- http://pda.physorg.com/_news175853675.html

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]santimun[/nom]I'm not surprised really. Thats why for the past few years I do most of my calls with my headphones connected to my phone. I would use bluetooth but those eat up batteries to make it really worth it.Lets hope this gets disproven, otherwise, who should we blame for allowing this technology to be put out into the market without more testing and at the very least, more warnings and cautions?[/citation]

Better yet, who should we blame for funding false research on this issue and falsely alarming the public over a non-issue? Since, the last time I checked, cellular phones are not made with radioactive material, the devices cannot improve or depress the growth of cancerous cells.

All of you blind little sheep here can spam the "thumb down" button all you want, but anyone with any sense will realize the level of bullshit in this article.

G

It's about time they came out with this info, because people should know. Ear devices are a good answer, and hopefully more will wear them now. Also, in case anyone wants to know if there's anything new that's actually good for your brain- there is, an I don't go a day without it. It's toward the bottom of this site- http://phkey.com

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I've said this for a long time, cell phones are the cigarettes of the 21st century. In the US, wide spread usage of cellphones has only been taking place for around 15 years, emphasis on "wide spread". Less than 9% in 1994 to over 85% as of 2008. I'm just say'n....

Santimun

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]What about other types of cancer? It's sitting in my pocket all day long... If I'm going to get testicular cancer it would be nice to have a heads up.[/citation]

I really hope your right cerealkiller. Like I said, lets hope this gets disproven. We'll find out how legit this finding is when the report is viewable to the public, which I hope it will be.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
She also said that adults should make an effort to keep the devices away from the head by using wireless ear devices

So let me get this straight...they aren't sure if the current cell frequencies (most are a few hundred megahertz from 1ghz) are harmful or not, so their suggestion is to use a wireless headset running in the 2.4 band!? The same frequency range that your microwave uses to boil water!? It's like saying "We're not sure if airbags do more good or bad, so lets just replace them with explosives."

...Quick, someone give them another $20mil to figure out that humans have tons of water in them and "wireless ear devices" run 2.4!

[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Better yet, who should we blame for funding false research on this issue and falsely alarming the public over a non-issue? Since, the last time I checked, cellular phones are not made with radioactive material, the devices cannot improve or depress the growth of cancerous cells.All of you blind little sheep here can spam the "thumb down" button all you want, but anyone with any sense will realize the level of bullshit in this article.[/citation]

That is a rather odd comment. This study has nothing to do with radioactive materials and everything to do with radio waves. The wifi and the portable phone in your house can't even transmit down the block, yet cell phones work for miles...you do the math. Low power levels or not, that is some well-penetrating crap.

6shuter

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
"In the absence of definitive results and in the light of a number of studies which, though limited, suggest a possible effect..."

If there are no definiative results and at most limited possible effects why are any warnings going out at all.

Whatever happened to the scientific method?
What is her data?
I guess you might as well get me my tinfoil hat becauase here come those black heliocopters.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Without reading the details of the report, its hard to say, but how did they analyze the people that never used a cell phone? Simply saying "people who have used cell phones for over ten years" doesn't give much to go on, but I would venture a guess that they were in remote areas and not near large urban populations. The people that used cell phones? Probably in large downtown or metro areas. The importance of this? People living in remote areas are much less likely to come into contact with a varying degree of substances that are "known to cause cancer" in their every day lives. People living in cities are much more likely to come across lead poisoning and other such things.

Bottom line of the study: People who use cellphones live in more populous areas and tend to come into contact with lots of things that can cause cancer.

G

Guys,

Years ago, cell phone was a simple voice transmitter. Now, we are using it to watch youtube and surf on facebook. Consider how much energy is required to send information over several miles, use over years, you really are asking for trouble.

Dont buy the cell phone industry company line. The fact is that there is quite a bit of energy emitted from those phones. Although there is no absolute proof that it directly causes cancer, I think its prudent to start using a ear piece and start wearing the phone on a hip pack.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]so now what? if we get brain cancer we can sue our cell phone manufacturer?[/citation]

no, you can select a coffin and write on your gravestone that you were a dumb ass for believing the companies who gave you cancer and that darwin was right after all

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
So let me get this straight...they aren't sure if the current cell frequencies (most are a few hundred megahertz from 1ghz) are harmful or not, so their suggestion is to use a wireless headset running in the 2.4 band!? The same frequency range that your microwave uses to boil water!

I checked my microwave, and it uses 900MHz. So that's right in the range of the cell phone. However, I'd also have to question the safety of using a "wireless" headset since it's a higher frequency, and therefore higher energy.
My solution? I don't use a cell phone. (2nd advantage - my weekends are my own.)

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like another one of those "it makes sense so it has to be true" type of studies.

Who needs facts when we can just assume it's true. Like the earth being the center of the universe and how the earth is flat. It makes sense so it's gotta be true!

frozenlead

Distinguished
So our phone's waves can travel all the way to a tower x miles away and still be interpreted, and their solution to reduce radiation is to move your phone a few feet from your head? That's nowhere near enough distance to let the signal degrade, if indeed we should be worried about this.

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey wow, I get this radio station from like 100 miles outside of town! My radio must be killing me! Jesus Christ people. It the power of the transmitter, and the sensitivity of the receiver at the towers that enable cellphones to have such coverage. Do some math. Look at the power rating on your phone's battery. Use it non-stop and see how long it lasts. How much energy was used? Yes the energy was converted to radio frequency, good for it. But I really do doubt that amount of energy operating at that frequency for that length is going to cause that much of a higher rate of cancer. Why would something like a Bluetooth device be any better? You know that works on radio frequency too? Just a different range. Shouldn't that be killing me too? Calm down and go outside, get some sun and die of skin cancer like a normal human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.