Who knows a thing or three about headphones and soundcards?

TwitchBacklog

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
So I'm looking into Blue's Mo-Fi headphones. In part because I need new headphones, and in part because my current setup (motherboard's built-in sound card and some M-Audio monitor speakers) isn't cutting it. They have issues hitting some notes on occasion. I was reading reviews for the Soundblaster X7 external amp and had found that that's one way to expand the range of your audio. So, from my basic understanding...

Could I purchase the Mo-Fi and hook them up into my motherboard's audio-out and their built-in amp coupled with their being analog audio takes care of that difference and call it a day?

Do I need to have a dedicated sound card in order to hear a difference with these headphones?

Would my money be better spent on something like the X7 that has DAC and an amp, or on an internal card as opposed to these? I prefer to game with headphones on (no need for a headset, I've got a studio mic).

The problem is I just don't know a thing about audio, honestly. Any advice is appreciated.

Solution
You are in the right direction of external preamp/DAC. External give you portability to plug it to what unit it's capable of. Unless all those unit are in one location/cabinet unit or something like that. This also allows you to plug in your game console without having to turn your PC on.

Your M-Audio speakers are active I gather, then you really don't need another amp from the X7. If you are willing to spend that much on a unit then may I suggest you check on Arcam rDAC or Parasound Zdac v.2, Unlike the Sound blaster X7, these are not 5.1 though. And these will certainly add some presence from your M-Audio that you haven't heard before when it was just connected to your PC. I myself would like to get one of these but after...

TwitchBacklog

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015

That's not really an answer to my question. Still looking.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You are in the right direction of external preamp/DAC. External give you portability to plug it to what unit it's capable of. Unless all those unit are in one location/cabinet unit or something like that. This also allows you to plug in your game console without having to turn your PC on.

Your M-Audio speakers are active I gather, then you really don't need another amp from the X7. If you are willing to spend that much on a unit then may I suggest you check on Arcam rDAC or Parasound Zdac v.2, Unlike the Sound blaster X7, these are not 5.1 though. And these will certainly add some presence from your M-Audio that you haven't heard before when it was just connected to your PC. I myself would like to get one of these but after replacing my sound blaster driver with KX project, I could stay with my old Audigy card connected to BX6 for at least a year more or so.

One other thing though is why you prefer the Blue's Mo-Fi headphone?

Solution